Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2014, 07:00 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Question 3TB External Dive and Windows Backup

So I grabbed a 3TB Seagate Backup+ for an external backup. However, Windows Backup refuses to work with it, no matter what I do. I partitioned the drive into two 1.1TB drives, one formatted as NTFS, the other exFAT (512k). NEITHER seem to work with Windows Backup. It always gives me an error that the backup location is invalid, or that there was an IO error, depending upon which drive I try to use. I am aware of the native Win7 incompatibility with 4096k drives, yet it doesn't work with the exFAT 512k drive either. What am I doing wrong here?

My temporary work around is to set the backup location to my internal HDD, then move the backup file to the external. I'd just rather it do it auto-magically.
Old January 13, 2014, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try a USB port on the back plate of your board if you are trying front USB.

EDIT : Did you make the partition active,
Old January 14, 2014, 04:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

It is plugged into a back USB 3 port. When I go into Disk Management the "Mark Partition as Active option is grayed out on all but my internal SSD and HDD. It says that the "System Reserved" 100MB partition is the only active one ATM.
Old January 15, 2014, 06:18 PM
Rookie

My suggestion is why don't you try a third-party backup tool? Sometimes windows built-in tool can't do but a thid-party one can do and do more professional and efficent. Such as traditional Ghost and the rising aomei backupper.
Old January 15, 2014, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you sure the drive or cable isn't defective? When that happened to me on the Windows 8 version of backup, the issue was a bad USB cable. That's easy enough to check with SeaTools.

Other possible hack:
Hmm since you're on Windows 7 Pro, you could mark the drive as a network share, then point Windows backup to the network share rather than to the drive itself.
E.g. make a folder on the drive, share it with yourself (Right-click folder -> Properties -> Sharing). Then you can connect Windows Backup to \\localhost\whatever_you_called_the_shared_folder.
Old January 15, 2014, 07:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'd rather use Norton Ghost far better for backup after a nice fresh install. Can't count times it's saved my systems. Also another cool piece if software is deepfreeze it's like Norton Ghost but is active while system is on. Great for lan or cafe. Restores comp to clean image after every reset.