Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2014, 05:00 PM
Allstar

Default WD Green failure rate = 100%

Just discovered that my 6th WD Green drive has bad sectors on it and once again I have to try and save as much data as I can. I've been finding that at least 75% of them go before the warranty and the rest not long after it has expired. Not sure this is still covered but I wouldn't apply for an RMA anyways. What's the point. I couldn't even in good conscience sell whatever I'd get as a replacement for the dead drive. So far every single Green drive I've bought has failed within 4 years (normally within 1-2yrs and that doesn't count the ones that failed on the wife).

I've been in this industry for a long time now (25 years now give or take) and I've never seen this kind of failure rate. Hell, I'd take an IMB Deathstar over these pieces of crap haha.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old January 12, 2014, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Its because of their idle head parking. They are NOT designed for desktop use and mainly external storage type devices.

Anything else and their failure rate goes through the roof.

This is a WELL known issue with these drives.
Old January 12, 2014, 05:28 PM
Allstar

I know, and they have been used as external storage so it's not like they get much action. It's an unacceptable failure rate considering multiple generations and are all failing under the lightest use possible.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old January 12, 2014, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Enterprise.
Old January 12, 2014, 06:23 PM
Allstar

Recent memory there has only been two drive types that have burnt their terrible reliability into my brain. Seagate 7200.11 drives and WD Greens, there is no excuse for these POS drives. Its a bad design and trying to tell anyone to only use it for light duty is BS when you have 1TB+ drives. I use WD reds and i guess older Hitachi drives and they are very reliable, I am in the 40TB range of local home storage.
Old January 12, 2014, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
Recent memory there has only been two drive types that have burnt their terrible reliability into my brain. Seagate 7200.11 drives and WD Greens, there is no excuse for these POS drives. Its a bad design and trying to tell anyone to only use it for light duty is BS when you have 1TB+ drives. I use WD reds and i guess older Hitachi drives and they are very reliable, I am in the 40TB range of local home storage.
FYI 7200.11 were fine except the batches between October and January. I have a few .11 drives that still operate fine and if we are going to go into fruther specifics it was mostly the 500gb and 1TB drives.
Old January 12, 2014, 06:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I used to like the Greens back when you could do the wdidle trick on them...but since WD stopped updating WDidle...I stopped buying Greens. To many just as efficient and more powerful to bother with the Greens nowadays.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 12, 2014, 06:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Even at my Work we have pitched all of the Green Drives we used to have. Now running solely on Reds which has been a much much better experience.
I would suggest grabbing one of those in place.
They go through more throughput at my work in a week than you can put on in 6 months, and so far have not failed. Might be a better option,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 12, 2014, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Even at my Work we have pitched all of the Green Drives we used to have. Now running solely on Reds which has been a much much better experience.
I would suggest grabbing one of those in place.
They go through more throughput at my work in a week than you can put on in 6 months, and so far have not failed. Might be a better option,

-ST
Red for at home desktop storage as well? or just stick with blue/black as desired?

My external 1tb has a green in it. Hopefully that lasts for me.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old January 12, 2014, 06:57 PM
Allstar

I've stayed away from the Green drives for a year or two now, these were just the ones that were still in my system. Went out today and bought a Seagate 3tb drive as it was on sale for $110. For some reason I though Seagate drives only had a 1 year warranty but after I registered it I checked, and it has 3 years. See no reason to go back to WD unless I really need a Black drive. I never had a problem with the 7200.11 drives either.