Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2013, 06:10 PM
Top Prospect

Default SSD advice? Please advise?

I'm looking at SSDs now that they've come down in price. However, my use is probably different than most here. I just want a drive to run Windows 7 and it won't be on or used all the time - i.e. 24 hrs a day although there might be some days I'll use it for consecutive 2 or 3 days at a time but it depends.

It depends if I need to use Windows, for either work or because Windows users are asking me A, B, C...

I usually use Linux so I want to be able to dual-boot on separate drives. I'll already use typical HDDs for Linux -for now. I want a *fast* drive to boot Windows when I need it - so for convenience but it will also make for simpler dual-boot configurations - hopefully.

I was looking at the Samsung 840 Pro 128gb vs Intel 530 120gb. The Samsung is more but faster?

I put the Samsung through an online 'cart' and after taxes/shipping, it comes to around $177 as of today! Wow! Thanks to the GST. Anyway, the Intel SSD starts at $112 at the moment. I guess it's a difference of $30 so with taxes/shipping, I can budget for $140-ish?

Should I just go for the cheaper drive? I have no idea what the latest tech. is regarding trim etc. Since, the drive would not be on all the time (probably) or have stretches of being used, that might be a factor or not. I think either drive is probably good so I was just curious if there's any intangibles regarding either drive. Heck, I might try one with Linux one day but by then, there might be new tech.? ;-)

Is it worth it to get a faster HDD? I probably have one extra drive I could use but it's slow as molasses. It is an old legacy drive. I currently dual-boot on a 320 WD HDD. Windows 7 is on a partition and I forget how much space is being used. Not much. But, any time I re-install a Linux OS or mess around in Windows, there's always a chance to hose the boot manager or something. ;)

Is such a small capacity SSD a bad buy? I thought these can also go into a laptop but I guess that is very small for that. Anyway, what do you think? $140 isn't bad?

Edit: The Corsair Neutron GTX 120gb SSD looks okay, too. How does it compare to the other two drives discussed? Thanks in advance for any replies. If there's no other contenders, the decision should be easier? ;-D

Last edited by fubar; December 15, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old December 15, 2013, 08:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly you picked three of the best SSDs on the market today (4th contender is the Vector 150...but OCZ are having major problems so I would suggest looking elsewhere...which is a shame as its a killer drive). All three are solid and reliable drives. All three are fast enough that I truly doubt you would noticed the difference between them outside of 'edge' cases & scenarios. Choose which ever fits your budget the best.

I remember when 120-128GB'ers were considered LARGE and were luxury versions (most peeps were using 30GB'ers and 64'ers). With a bit of careful use 120GB is more than enough space. Though to be honest all SSDs should not be filled to capacity. I like to run mine at 50% or less (then again I have the luxury of using 'small' 480GBers and larger 800gb'ers). As long as you keep it to 100GB or less you will be fine.

Be warned once you DO use a SSD...you will never....ever put 'fast' and 'HDD' in the same sentence unless you are being ironic. Even 15000rpm drives are slow compared to SSD. Most peeps who use them can never go back to hard drives...and usually go for bigger and bigger versions (as the 128GB'ers are slower than the 240GB capacity models).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 22, 2013, 10:05 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for your reply, AKG! :) I appreciate your input! It's good to know I chose some good SSDs. ;) I tried to find recent reviews but it was difficult to compare or cross reference all three in the same capacities. At any rate, the Samsung looks like the fastest or most efficient over all but the most expensive of the group. Not sure what I'll do or which I'll choose yet. ;)

However, I have another question for ya if you don't mind? I discovered that SSDs don't have much technological 'safety' (?) or strategies in the event of a power outage or brown out. For e.g., we are hit with ice storms/ice rain recently so if you experienced that and your power goes out - without a backup system set up, your SSD is probably toast?

What do you say to that? What's your expertise regarding those intangibles?

I thought to be safe and invest in a battery for my APC backup ups xs 800. Very expensive, though. I have no choice, however, if I use a SSD.
Old December 22, 2013, 11:16 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What you are looking for is a solid state drive with "Flush in Flight" abilities (a bunch of capacitors on the board to allow the drive to finish writing to the nand in case of power outage). Its standard on enterprise grade drives, on the consumer side its rare. Crucial M400 series has FiF but it is rare. BUT a drive without FiF will not be 'toast' if a unexpected loss of power happens. All that may happen is your OS / data on the drive becomes corrupt. A format, restore the drive image from backup and bam the SSD is back up and running. Now if your PSU dies and throws a surge down the line...it could take out the SSD... but it would have killed anything else attached to that line as well so its a moot point...and FiF wont save you. ;)

Honestly the two things you should never skimp on are the PSU and the UPS. I never run a rig without a good PSU and a good UPS on it. YMMV but consider it an insurance plan as its not black outs that it saves you from the most but BROWN outs. That is what kills rigs deader than disco.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 16, 2014, 05:59 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for another reply! You are correct! I agree, I need to buy a battery for my APC Battery Back-UPS. It's around $80 w/ tax, though, so I haven't done so just yet. :) Eventually....well, soon.

I read about another potential SSD candidate. Do you have any opinions on the Plextor M5P Extreme 128gb (M5 Pro Extreme -PX-128M5Pro)? It looks pretty good and is about $20 cheaper than the Samsung 840 Pro (128gb). The Plexor is a newer version (newer firmware and supposedly better performance than the original MP5). It has a newer Marvel controller.
Old January 16, 2014, 06:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Like I was reading earlier today in-house made controllers with custom firmware and top notch software will always beat the other guys using 3rd party controllers firmware and lackluster software.
Old January 16, 2014, 06:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

After using an m400 on a rig I was building for someone vs my own 840pro.. I'd save the money..
For real world performance the difference is so low in so many places that I'd rather have the money... Hell, buy 2 120GB M400's and have your linux dist on one as well.
It's true you can't beat ssd and I'll never go back (Even to the point where I'm considering buying one from my own money for my WORK lappy)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 16, 2014, 06:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeah just bought a Dell notebook for wifey going to put a 256Gb Samsung 840 pro in it for her.
Old March 26, 2014, 08:44 AM
Top Prospect

Can I bump my thread? I haven't looked at SSDs for a while but I noticed some new ones are out.

I was wondering if anyone has opinions on these ones?:
Toshiba Q-Series Pro 128GB and Crucial M550 128GB CT128M550SSD1
both are $110
Old April 14, 2014, 05:01 PM
Rookie

Might want to check out the Samsung evo as well. Heard they were pretty good 2.