Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2013, 09:58 AM
Rookie

Default Windows 7 No Longer See SSD

I have been using an Intel 335 240GB SSD for about a year. Every now and then, when I turn on my computer, the computer says it cannot detect my boot media. I assume my cable was loose so I would open my case up and re-plug my SATA cables. I would re-boot my computer, and would load Windows normally.

Earlier this morning, I received the same error. I have ensured that my SATA cables are connected snug. When I check the BIOS, it still says that the computer is still booting from DVD as first, and SSD as second. I burned AVG Rescue Disc and tried to boot from it. AVG does not see my SSD, but sees my other two 7200 mechanical hard drives. When I insert a Windows 7 boot DVD and try to install a new partition, the boot disc does not display the SSD as one of the available drives. I have just installed Windows 7 onto my second mechanical hard drive (which I use to mirror my data), and I still have the SSD plugged into my machine. When I go into the Device Manager, I see my two mechanical hard drives, but not my SSD.

Just to note that I just tried to install a second 7970 for the second time. I picked up a refurbished 7970 on Black Friday but it was a dud card (artifact-ing everywhere). I got a second refurbished 7970 last night and went to install it this morning. That is when I noticed that my computer cannot detect my boot media. Since then, I have removed my second 7970 from the computer.

I am wondering if my SSD is dead? Is there anyway for me to verify this? What should my next step be to recover from this incident? In addition, how did this happen? My SSD has been working for over a year now.
Old December 15, 2013, 10:20 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Step 1) use a known good cables. Take the power and sata cable from one of your HDDs
Step 2) use a known good Sata port. Use one of the ones used for a hdds (can combo this with step 1 ;) )
Step 3) Try again.
If the BIOS sees it...it was a wonky cable or port. TS to figure out which one.
IF it doesnt see it....try in a different system. IF the other system doesnt see it. Leave unplugged for 24hrs and try again. If still not showing up in BIOS. Its a dead SSD and you will need to contact Intel for RMA. Probably a bad connection...or at least it sounds like one based on your "I wiggled it and it worked up until now" history with this drive.

Hope that helps :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr