Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2013, 02:38 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Any special settings to get loaded HHD's work in new PC?

I have placed together a new PC running Windows 7 Home 64-bit with 16GN od RAM memory, Asus Z87 Sabertooth,

Came with Intel 320 Series Sata 3Gbps SSD and 2 WD Blue 500GB each in RAID 1.

Now I connected:
- 1 WD Black Caviar coming from another PC and loaded with data.
- 1 Hitachi Desktar 1TB also loaded withy data and coming from another PC

None of them are being recognized by the software. They dont "exist".

Additionally I am also trying to add a brand new empty SSD Sata 6Gbps which is also NOT BEING recognized by the PC.

Do I have to do anything special to make those disks recognizable by the windows software installed on the Sata II(3Gbps) original SSD?

I would appreciate knowledgeable contributions.

Thank you kindly.
Old December 5, 2013, 02:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSwhip View Post
I have placed together a new PC running Windows 7 Home 64-bit with 16GN od RAM memory, Asus Z87 Sabertooth,

Came with Intel 320 Series Sata 3Gbps SSD and 2 WD Blue 500GB each in RAID 1.

Now I connected:
- 1 WD Black Caviar coming from another PC and loaded with data.
- 1 Hitachi Desktar 1TB also loaded withy data and coming from another PC

None of them are being recognized by the software. They dont "exist".

Additionally I am also trying to add a brand new empty SSD Sata 6Gbps which is also NOT BEING recognized by the PC.

Do I have to do anything special to make those disks recognizable by the windows software installed on the Sata II(3Gbps) original SSD?

I would appreciate knowledgeable contributions.

Thank you kindly.
You will most likely have to import them under Computer Management -> Disk Management

Be warned tho it import them as Dynamic Disks which is best to convert back to a Basic Disk but will require formatting.
Old December 5, 2013, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First thing to check is if they are showing up in the BIOS. If they are showing up in the BIOS then got to Computer Management -> Disk Management and you should hopefully just have to give them a drive letter. Normally you shouldn't have to do any kind of importing of the drives.