Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2013, 04:44 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default AMD RamDisk

Was surfing the web and stumbled upon this article this is great easy to use software if you have extra RAM to spare which in my case I have 16GB's haha I knew I would eventually find a use for all that extra ram that I bought on sale NCIX $34.99 for 8 GB's of Kingston DDR3 Hyper. Yea all my buddies were giving me a bad time askin what was I gonna do with all that ram. So I just told them whenever I see an empty slot on my board I have the urge to fill it .
This software looks identical to Ramdrive software I've been using for the last 2 or 3 years which has the trade name of "Dataram" RAMDisk I think they must have licensed thier program to AMD or mabey just bought them outright.

Here's the links including tutorials on what and how to install and use it if look closely you will even find a tutorial pdf download on how to redirect Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer browser Caches to use the free 4GB RamDrive.

AMD Radeon? RAMDisk Promotions

AMD Radeon Memory - Support - Tutorials

Tomahawk out.
Old November 28, 2013, 05:56 PM
Allstar

Dataram is the supplier of that AMD software. Another software you might want to play with is PrimoCache it is in beta. Been using it on my laptop and even with a SSD I have seen it cache 25% avg and peak 50-60% under heavy work loads. Gaming pretty much sits around 2%.
Old December 2, 2013, 03:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I use the AMD Ramdisk for my internet cache. It does help from my experience.

I didn't see that ram for sale. you got a excellent deal.
Old December 2, 2013, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmehereajax View Post
I use the AMD Ramdisk for my internet cache. It does help from my experience.

I didn't see that ram for sale. you got a excellent deal.
Unless you got a slug of a computer there should be no need to put your internet cache on a ramdisk.
Old December 2, 2013, 04:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Unless you got a slug of a computer there should be no need to put your internet cache on a ramdisk.
I run many browsers and it feels faster from other browsers when browsing and going back/forward between regular visited sites.

Also my SSD if kinda full and I heard that when the SSD is near capacity, things can slow down. I also want to save my SSD from writes/reads from browsing large sites like Youtube.
Old December 2, 2013, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmehereajax View Post
I run many browsers and it feels faster from other browsers when browsing and going back/forward between regular visited sites.

Also my SSD if kinda full and I heard that when the SSD is near capacity, things can slow down. I also want to save my SSD from writes/reads from browsing large sites like Youtube.
Should never exceed more than 75% of the SSD capacity otherwise yes they slow down and performance goes to the crapper. I bet if you cleared your SSD properly you'd notice the slowness you experience come back.

Computers these days are plenty fast that putting the internet caches on a ramdisk is not going to gain you anything. If anything decrease your internet cache from a pre-determined size to a smaller size.
Old December 2, 2013, 04:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I should've gotten a larger SSD this holiday instead. So many good deals on 240GB ssds hopefully more during christmas and boxing week.

I have all my needed files on the main SSD so I guess I need a new large SSD now.

I also run a couple of VMs that create large VMEM 8GB files on the SSD so that slows down my system. So any bit helps for now.
Old December 3, 2013, 06:39 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Should never exceed more than 75% of the SSD capacity otherwise yes they slow down and performance goes to the crapper. I bet if you cleared your SSD properly you'd notice the slowness you experience come back.

Computers these days are plenty fast that putting the internet caches on a ramdisk is not going to gain you anything. If anything decrease your internet cache from a pre-determined size to a smaller size.
RAM disk for internet cache has a built in security as well, everything is cleared on each boot. Plus reduces writes to your SSD. Speed wise yeah doesn't really improve any noticeable amount.
Old December 3, 2013, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
RAM disk for internet cache has a built in security as well, everything is cleared on each boot. Plus reduces writes to your SSD. Speed wise yeah doesn't really improve any noticeable amount.
Security for what? Your internet cache shouldn't have anything that requires security.
Old December 3, 2013, 07:28 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

We did an article about this: AMD Radeon RAMDisk Review