Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2013, 07:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Western Digital Black 1TB Dual Drive Review Comment Thread

(Didn't see a thread for the review, so I thought I'd start one up).

Great review AkG. I think the drive's an interesting idea, and performance is solid for a hybrid. Looking at the prices though, I just don't think the drive is worth it. You can easily get a far better performance SSD in the ~240gb capacity and still have enough money leftover to get a 1 or 2TB USB 3.0 passport drive (or a really good thumbdrive) or a USB 3.0 2.5" enclosure and a 2.5" 7200rpm drive.

240GB is more than enough for all the software most people will need on a laptop, and you can always plug a usb in, transfer whatever large files you need for the time being (movies for a flight, whatever) and then unplug it and you won't have drained enough battery life for it to be a big deal.

If you're dead-set against carrying absolutely anything other than your laptop around, then I suppose this would be a good solution, but I just don't see enough appeal IMO.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:46 AM
Trial Member

So let me get this straight - the SSD portion isn't there to cache/accelerate the slow HDD portion, but rather they're two completely separate drives? Does that even meet the definition of a "hybrid"?

What happens if you try to write/read from both SDD and HDD portion at the same time? Do they slow each other down, considering the fact that the controller and sata port are shared, or is the effect negligible?
Old November 26, 2013, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
(Didn't see a thread for the review, so I thought I'd start one up).

Great review AkG. I think the drive's an interesting idea, and performance is solid for a hybrid. Looking at the prices though, I just don't think the drive is worth it. You can easily get a far better performance SSD in the ~240gb capacity and still have enough money leftover to get a 1 or 2TB USB 3.0 passport drive (or a really good thumbdrive) or a USB 3.0 2.5" enclosure and a 2.5" 7200rpm drive.

240GB is more than enough for all the software most people will need on a laptop, and you can always plug a usb in, transfer whatever large files you need for the time being (movies for a flight, whatever) and then unplug it and you won't have drained enough battery life for it to be a big deal.

If you're dead-set against carrying absolutely anything other than your laptop around, then I suppose this would be a good solution, but I just don't see enough appeal IMO.
This is no different than the hybrid drives Seagate has been putting out for awhile. The difference is that this is WDs first drive like this and Seagate has already surpassed the small form factor and gone into the 3.5 inch drives.
Old November 26, 2013, 10:25 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The controller is not shared. They only things they share are a SATA port and power port. That 'magic' happens via a Marvell port multiplier chip. The HDD and SSD parts not exactly going to saturate the SATA 3 bus so any reduction in performance will be minimal.

To me the WD Black˛ is a savant. It does ONE thing really....really well. It offers people who can only have one SATA device the best of both worlds performance and capacity. The price is the weak link. At 2 bills it would be a great drive for a lot of people. At 3 its more of a curiosity....and a sign of what direction WD are going in. One that has a lot more raw potential than the 'classical' SSHD road that Seagate is traveling.

Edit...and I see enab once again hasnt read the review. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 26, 2013, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The controller is not shared. They only things they share are a SATA port and power port. That 'magic' happens via a Marvell port multiplier chip. The HDD and SSD parts not exactly going to saturate the SATA 3 bus so any reduction in performance will be minimal.

To me the WD Black˛ is a savant. It does ONE thing really....really well. It offers people who can only have one SATA device the best of both worlds performance and capacity. The price is the weak link. At 2 bills it would be a great drive for a lot of people. At 3 its more of a curiosity....and a sign of what direction WD are going in. One that has a lot more raw potential than the 'classical' SSHD road that Seagate is traveling.

I read it :P

Reviews are far to long winded and I lose the main points.. They need a TLDR.
Old November 26, 2013, 10:33 AM

LOL. Just messing with ya mate.

TLDR: WD has created an entirely new 'SSHD'. Better to call it a Hybrid than true SSHD. Good kit. Performance beats the snot out of even a 2TB Desktop SSHD. BUT it could have been even more if they had designed it 'properly'. At 3 bills its too expensive. Should have been more in the 2 range. Thus the lack of DI or DGV awards.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 26, 2013, 10:36 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If they can make something like this in a 2.5" form factor, I think that that would be killer for laptops.
Old November 26, 2013, 10:39 AM

It is a 2.5" 9.5mm formfactor device.

WD is mum on the 3.5" version...but its almost assuredly in the design pipe. ;)

Old November 26, 2013, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

WD should just get on with designing and selling their own ssd. What they have here is interesting but I do not forsee good sales at that price point.
Old November 26, 2013, 11:44 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
If they can make something like this in a 2.5" form factor, I think that that would be killer for laptops.
Quote:
It is a 2.5" 9.5mm formfactor device.
Poor AkG, no one reads your review I guess

You're right that it probably shouldn't be called a hybrid compared to the competitions drives, it is a different product (in a way). Doesn't change my original thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
WD should just get on with designing and selling their own ssd. What they have here is interesting but I do not forsee good sales at that price point.
I've been wondering about that for sometime. I wonder if they just don't want to be involved in any kind of 'memory' market, and it's easier for companies that already produce RAM or other memory based components to get better deals with mem manufacturers, or if it's just that their view of their corporate direction doesn't involve entering an SSD market be it due to there already being so many companies selling them or another reason entirely. Maybe an SSD entry is in the works and WD is just taking their time, I have no idea really. Considering that storage is their bread and butter, it's a little surprising.