Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2013, 08:14 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Well...dont be so hasty their enab. WD has something up their sleeves. Will be landing in the near future. Give it a couple gens to work out the bugs (and price to come down)...and IF western digi has their way the storage marketplace will be radically different than it is now. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 22, 2013, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
These will never replace SSD speeds EVER. The highlight of these drives is simply that it recognizes what you use the most of and caches it to speed up the process of using it.
Of course pure will be faster... but then if they can make them so that the performance difference is very close but price to capacity is a fraction of the SSD's, then they very well could replace ssd's for those that aren't worried about bleeding edge performance or need the shock resistance etc that ssd's bring

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old November 22, 2013, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Of course pure will be faster... but then if they can make them so that the performance difference is very close but price to capacity is a fraction of the SSD's, then they very well could replace ssd's for those that aren't worried about bleeding edge performance or need the shock resistance etc that ssd's bring
It would be nice if platter drives COULD be at the same speed as ssds but I don't think that will happen as its still mechanical and driven by a motor.
Old November 22, 2013, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Pure mechanical is a different story, these are hybrids.

Old November 22, 2013, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Pure mechanical is a different story, these are hybrids.
Its a mechanical drive with extra large memory on board in the name of NAND which stores the most common stuff used and speeds it up.

The drive itself is still limited by the mechanical part of the drive.
Old November 23, 2013, 12:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ehhh... yes and no. While it's still a mechanical drive the cache that it's been given impacts performance very significantly in many areas.

Granted it need time to learn what to cache and what not to and on large transfers etc it's only as fast as it's slowest component. But on things that you use allot (loading windows, certain programs etc) it should be a very viable option to those who need the space and also are restricted by budget. Which to be fair is a decent portion of the market.

As I said, SSD's will be performance leaders but if these hybrid drives can get close enough to the performance while costing much less then they could become more popular than ssd's.
And for the important stuff mentioned above I don't see why they couldn't get as fast as ssd's once they have the right stuff cached.

Old November 23, 2013, 04:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Could you imagine a 8Tb wd black drive (new HAMMR) model with a 64/128 gb cache ssd built in thatd be near best of both worlds.
Old January 21, 2014, 01:50 AM
Trial Member

I read that this SSD is a little slow on heavy usage due to limited cache from here - Seagate's Desktop SSHD 2TB: Page 3 of 3 - Hardware If so, then what should be a good SSD with good cache writing?