Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2013, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default ADATA SSD? Or other suggestions?

I'm looking to buy a reasonable sized SSD to swap out the drive on my HP Envy. I currently have a spare Samsung 250GB SSD I was going to use, but I'd like to go with something 500GB or larger. The best value I've found so far seems to be the ADATA SX900 512GB for $360.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this drive? Other suggestions are welcome as well, keeping in mind that budget is paramount, and I don't need the absolute best SSD. (I'm not interested in spending huge sums for an Intel drive for this laptop) This laptop is for general use and some Lightroom work.

*EDIT* I'm not opposed to PM's if anyone has something for sale.
Old November 7, 2013, 10:34 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Drop a SSHD in there if size and price matter but performance doesnt.

As for Adata....no comment besides the obvious fact that they will not send HWC samples after I gave them an honest review that was anything but the 'squeeee' they wanted. Since then I have never used one of their products and refuse to do so.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; November 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old November 7, 2013, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

That's actually a good idea that I hadn't really thought about. Although I should be clear that while an SSD doesn't need to be blazing fast for this usage, I DO want to make a decent jump over the performance of a standard drive. Not to mention, the silence of an SSD is nice.

Any suggestions on an SSHD? I have done almost zero research in to them.
Old November 7, 2013, 03:08 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

1TB Seagate Laptop SSHD is a solid choice. Basically everything for the first minute on start-up....is pushed to the NAND. Fav apps....start and stop them 4-8 times and bingo the real parts needed will be on the NAND.

Only catch is there is only 8GB NAND so the algorithms do a continuous juggling act on what is on the NAND. Of course it goes with out saying that if you can afford a 480GB SSD...it will be eons better than the SSHD. Crucial M500 is a solid choice (one sits in my secondary rig as we speak). Seagate 600 is decent. 600 Pro 400GB is what I got in one of my own rigs. All good choices. Still say an Intel DC S3xxx series would be best. With one or two exceptions not listed above I've moved nearly all my rigs away from consumer SSD to enterprise SSD. They are simply built to LAST.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 10, 2013, 07:48 PM
Rookie

I have a close-to-two-year-old ADATA SSD still going strong in my HTPC. It works, I'll say that much.

By comparison, I had a Patriot Pyro SE in my laptop being used daily which ended up failing just over a year into purchase; took forever to get the RMA back from Patriot and it was replaced by a "higher quality" SSD which had been used (no box or anything). I ended up selling that and now use a SanDisk 240GB Extreme in my laptop (which is a little slower than the Pyro SE but is faster than the ADATA one).

I'd personally look elsewhere unless the ADATA drive is the deal of a century.
Old December 11, 2013, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

really a shame. Cause they used to be a company that built good products but after have several bad happenings with only there ssd's i went with an sshd 500gb in my old lappie and was very pleased. This was one of the first sshd they have gotten much better since then
Old December 11, 2013, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I ended up dropping my Samsung PRO in to it. As I thought about it more, I really didn't have so much to install on it that I couldn't get away with that volume.
Old December 12, 2013, 05:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Drop a SSHD in there if size and price matter but performance doesnt.

As for Adata....no comment besides the obvious fact that they will not send HWC samples after I gave them an honest review that was anything but the 'squeeee' they wanted. Since then I have never used one of their products and refuse to do so.
I bought 2 of these for a Raid
ADATA S510 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid Sate Drive (SSD), Read: 550MB/s Write: 510MB/s

one died after a month and it took me almost 4 months to get it replaced via RMA when this one here dies im going Samsung

O