Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2013, 12:01 PM
Rookie

Default Need a new 2tb HDD

I have an SSD for my OS and a handful of games but need more room. Planing on storing more games like BF4, Witcher Series, video files, and some applications like Adobe CS4 on it. Would any of these work?

Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
Thanks
Old November 3, 2013, 01:44 PM
Allstar

I've had way too many failures with the Green line so I'd recommend the Black if you can afford it.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old November 3, 2013, 02:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I've had way too many failures with the Green line so I'd recommend the Black if you can afford it.
What kind of problems were you having? Like DOA or they'd stop working after a couple of months, give me some info please.
Old November 3, 2013, 03:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I find the Greens are not nearly as durable for lots of cycles.. we had quite a few dead greens in the span of 2 years with my work. Though still not nearly the deaths the Seagates/Maxtor's in the time I was there.

If you want a Robust 2TB Drive, I would opt for the WD Red series. Enterprise grade stuff, and to be honest so far with the high throughput we subject them to, they have held up.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 3, 2013, 04:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Of those three drives. The WD Black. Personally I would look at either an enterprise drive (Red, SE, RE, ES.3) or the Seagate SSHD 2TB Newegg.com - Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop Solid State Hybrid Drive.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 3, 2013, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Just picked up a 2TB WD Red myself, think it was on sale at NCIX for around $115....
Old November 4, 2013, 10:56 AM
Allstar

With the greens I'm finding they are failing after a year or two with bad sectors. Out of the 5 I've owned, 4 have had gotten bad sectors (at least under warranty) and the wife is 2 for 2 for bad sectors on the greens.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old November 4, 2013, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would stick with the black.
Old November 5, 2013, 12:05 PM
Top Prospect

I also have had bad luck with WD Green drives.

For my server, went with Seagate NAS 2tb drives. They are slower (5900rpm), but good. Most NAS and server drives track flat out speed for long term durability, which is good for a server but less than ideal for a desktop.

If speed is a consideration, stay with 7200rpm or faster. If you don't need 2Tb, consider the Velociraptors. Sometimes you can find good prices on the 600Gb and 1Tb versions.

If long term durability is a consideration, look at the warranty. I have to think that a drive with a five year warranty is more likely to last five years than a drive with a 1, 2, or 3 year warranty. This brings us to WD Black, and some Seagates. All of the Seagate drives that I have had fail were at or past their warranty, unlike the WD drives.

There were announcements of the upcoming 6Tb drives filled with something other than normal air. I have to wonder how those will work, how they will perform, and how they will last......regardless, I want one!