My System Specs

short answer... yes.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 1, 2013, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Short answer no... The only time they impact performance is on level loads, thats it.. Actual gameplay isn't affected unless they have some kind of level load while in game (think zones for wow or the like)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 1, 2013, 08:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I think that's like asking whether buying a Ferrari will improve my driving?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 2, 2013, 07:52 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Short answer no... The only time they impact performance is on level loads, thats it.. Actual gameplay isn't affected unless they have some kind of level load while in game (think zones for wow or the like)
Most games these days constantly stream in assets as you travel. This can lead to stuttering and pop in. Besides shorter load times, SSD's help with this also.
Old November 2, 2013, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

An SSD is worth it just for the overall OS experience. In terms of game loading, some games load faster, some not at all compared to HDD. As Squeetard mentioned, games that stream-load benefit quite a bit (think open-world RPGs, flight sims, etc.). Games that load everything into memory once generally don't see any in-game performance advantage (think FPS, RTS, etc.).
Old November 2, 2013, 12:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

SSD's made a huge improvement on BF3 map loads times but actual game play is unchanged. worth it yes and like YukonTrooper stated over all OS experience well worth it....
Old November 3, 2013, 07:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post

sorry man I can't disagree with this comment more. It absolutely affects performance 100%. If ya don't believe me go back to a spin point drive and play games for a while... when windows starts to cache files to a slow assed spin point compared to an SSD. When that red LED light goes solid red pulling files from a 7800rpm drive you'll realize and understand where I'm getting at.

I understand where you are getting at for level loads etc... but I have played many games that are load as you go and depending on the amount of ram in the PC spin points will lag the game. Ever have antivirus kick in when your playing FPS? Boom you're screwed.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 3, 2013, 09:16 AM
MVP

So hypothetically would an ssd as a steam drive separate from OS on a 7200 drive clean up Saints Row 2 or do you have to use the ssd as OS and steam on the SSD as well?

FC3 is another that on foot it's good but I hop in a vehicle and it goes to crap turning into a sputtering disaster.

I realize that I need a new cpu in the near future but can't get everything at once.
Old November 3, 2013, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Always put the OS on the SSD. Put Steam, most used apps and games on the SSD as well. Once your SSD is full or near full, put extra apps and games on the regular HD. Steam allows for multiple install locations, so, for example, I have Chivalry, Day of Defeat, Crysis 3, iRacing and a couple other single player games I'm playing in my SSD Steam folder, and I have Empire and Shogun Total War in my HD Steam folder because I don't play them as often. I actually have all my apps on my 120GB SSD, so I'd be able to install more games there if I moved some apps to the HD, but I don't need more than 5 or 6 main games on my SSD at one time anyways.

Also, move all your library folders (Movies, Pictures, Music, Documents, Downloads) to the HD. Keep the hierarchical Users folder on the SSD.

Last edited by YukonTrooper; November 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM.