Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2013, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
I think that's like asking whether buying a Ferrari will improve my driving?
no just your sex life

other is most games are on CLOUD so network matters
Old November 5, 2013, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoast604 View Post
So hypothetically would an ssd as a steam drive separate from OS on a 7200 drive clean up Saints Row 2 or do you have to use the ssd as OS and steam on the SSD as well?

FC3 is another that on foot it's good but I hop in a vehicle and it goes to crap turning into a sputtering disaster.

I realize that I need a new cpu in the near future but can't get everything at once.
I just picked up another 120 ssd for the OS and apps. Using the previous 120 ssd for steam and games.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 6, 2013, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have an Intel 120GB for OS and various "small" Apps....about 50% full, but only a 6 month old install. All my games including Steam, Origin and a bunch of Benchmark Apps are loaded on a Vertex 240 GB SSD.

Data is all on a WD 640 GB Black but is almost full (yeah I discovered Bit Torrent), so also have a 2TB WD Red.

OP: Your shvt stuttering when going to a vehicle in FC3 sounds like more than just HD load times/caching. GPU and CPU speed play into it more so.

Old November 6, 2013, 11:21 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
All my games including Steam, Origin and a bunch of Benchmark Apps are loaded on a Vertex 240 GB SSD
Filthy casual gamer :)
Old November 6, 2013, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Ha ;)

Old December 24, 2013, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Faster load times and if you've played BF4 expect some long ones.
Old December 24, 2013, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Although you won't see much at all in terms of a boost to your FPS, a SSD is a very worthwhile investment if you find your current performance acceptable. If you are really getting a lot of bad lag on low settings, then skip the SSD until you have a better setup.
Old December 29, 2013, 01:34 AM
Top Prospect

The actual answer to this question isn't very simple and is game dependent.

Games that are designed around streaming in data as needed will benefit from SSDs in actual game play as "loading" takes place while you play. MMOs for example are a type a game that is typically more designed around this method. If you do a search regarding SSDs and WoW (being famous and commonly played, easy to find data on) you will find data on the benefits of SSDs for this type of usage. This also plays even more into the SSDs advantage in terms of latency (seek times basically) compared to a HDD.

Of course for games where all assets are loaded a singular time per "level" you will not get any actual advantages outside of that since everything is then loaded into your system and video memory, which is much faster (and much lower latency) than even SSDs.
Old April 18, 2014, 02:54 PM
Rookie

^+1. Been playing dayz SA and have read that an ssd is a main factor in frames right now since the way the game is designed.