Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2013, 08:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Limits of z87 chipsets?

Hi

Currently looking into overhauling my hdd's on my primary rig. Was wondering if the possible scenario could be done on just the intel raid controller, of if a second one will be needed.

Would like to run the following off the intel portion of the hdd controller (the marvel controller wont allow me to do this im pretty sure)

2 x m4 64gb ssd raid 0
2 x WD black 1tb raid 0 with 30gb ssd cache

Running a Gigabyte z87x-ud3p.
Old October 31, 2013, 08:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Should be absolutely fine for 2 raid arrays as long as all drives are connected to the same controller (if there is an extra one for more ports you can't mix them on any 1 array.).

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old October 31, 2013, 08:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I figured there shouldn't be an issue with running 2 x raid 0 arrays on my controller(thanks for clearing that up), but its the ssd caching id like to use with the raid 0 platter drives.
Old November 2, 2013, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am pretty sure the caching function relies on the Marvell controller`s function called Hyper Duo, so I don`t think you can mix a raid matrix from the intel controller with a function of the Marvell controller. The user manual of the mobo will explain you that and also clear any additional qestions you have on the issue. And there is no UD3P in the Z87 section on Gigabyte website but there is a UD3H, I take it is that one?

Last edited by MARSTG; November 4, 2013 at 03:02 PM.