Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2013, 01:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default which ssd?

I have just received a OCZ Vertex4 128 G back from an old Octane RMA.(they just sent the vertex and did not even look @ the Octane).
I will be doing a OS re-install on my Desktop PC which has an Intel 520 120G ssd almost 2 yrs old in it atm, And was wondering which ssd would be better in the desktop? And then the other one will be put into my APU powered HTPC. And yes both my desktop and HTPC have large HDD's in them also.The HTPC will be running Linux Elementary and Desktop Win7.
Old October 31, 2013, 10:34 AM
Rookie

I would say any samsung ssd would be a good bet.
Old November 1, 2013, 11:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
I would say any samsung ssd would be a good bet.
I agree about the Samsung units But thats not what I was asking.
Old November 1, 2013, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would put the intel drive in whatever you use more and the OCZ in the less used computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfglass View Post
I agree about the Samsung units But thats not what I was asking.
lol...That is exactly what I was thinking.
Old November 1, 2013, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Either one either way really. Intel is a better SSD than a lot of people think. I know,I had one and switched to a Samsung 840 Pro 512gb. I'm not impressed with my Samsung. 45 seconds to reboot.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old November 1, 2013, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Either one either way really. Intel is a better SSD than a lot of people think. I know,I had one and switched to a Samsung 840 Pro 512gb. I'm not impressed with my Samsung. 45 seconds to reboot.
Something wrong there, Think I'm on about 12 from hitting reboot to being on a web page and browsing.

I would put the intel in the HTPC personally, it's older but probably better for the non-TRIM environment (That is if there is still no TRIM in linux)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 1, 2013, 01:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
I would put the intel in the HTPC personally, it's older but probably better for the non-TRIM environment
Agreed.
Old November 1, 2013, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Something wrong there, Think I'm on about 12 from hitting reboot to being on a web page and browsing.

I would put the intel in the HTPC personally, it's older but probably better for the non-TRIM environment (That is if there is still no TRIM in linux)
How do you have your SSD configured? I've never had that kind of speed for a reboot. Not with the Intel either.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old November 1, 2013, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ok.. it was actually longer (just timed it, 30 sec inc bios etc which is not affected by ssd speed) cold boot is 12. :)
Muuuch faster than my last ssd and fairly in line with any benches I've seen. How long does it take for yours to get past the bios?

Erm.. basically I have it set in AHCI with all the nasties (indexing, temp files etc) disabled or on the hdd.. nothing major, just the standard precautions against unnecessary writes.
Actually it's the stuff in AKG's thread on ssd's.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 1, 2013, 07:55 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The Vertex 4 is good kit. The Intel 520 is very good kit. Honestly you cant go wrong with using either one in your main rig. I would probably stick the Intel 520 in the HTPC as it will encounter less writes there and where it is used this will help extend its life well into the future. With that being said the Intel 5 series is one of the few consumer grade SSDs that I still use and trust in my own rigs....the rest are usually enterprise SSDs (even my HTPC uses 'cheap' Kingston E50). Take from that what you will. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr