Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 25, 2013, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Considering an SSD for purchase tomorrow

Hey all. I have zero experience with SSDs, but am considering grabbing one tomorrow. I have a staples coupon for $40 off a hard drive of $100 or more which seems like it should work for SSD. So basically I am looking at what there is, but other than knowing which get talked about more than others and the obvious published speeds and size I am kind of clueless. It would be used on Sata 2 (3gb/s...no 6gb/s here), and obviously no trim support, in either my llano laptop or my desktop in my sig (probably the laptop). 120-128gb should be enough.

I am after trouble free, reliable use on sata 2, with a cost of as close to $100 as possible (so I can use the coupon and keep costs down). Obviously speed is important as well, but I am sure they will all be a substantial upgrade over the laptop HDD in there now. Staples will price match, so that is an option to get the best bang for buck (just remember the PM also has to include shipping cost).

Solid State Drives (SSD) | Staples®

Thanks for any help you can give on short notice.
Old September 25, 2013, 12:01 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Hey all. I have zero experience with SSDs, but am considering grabbing one tomorrow. I have a staples coupon for $40 off a hard drive of $100 or more which seems like it should work for SSD. So basically I am looking at what there is, but other than knowing which get talked about more than others and the obvious published speeds and size I am kind of clueless. It would be used on Sata 2 (3gb/s...no 6gb/s here), and obviously no trim support, in either my llano laptop or my desktop in my sig (probably the laptop). 120-128gb should be enough.

I am after trouble free, reliable use on sata 2, with a cost of as close to $100 as possible (so I can use the coupon and keep costs down). Obviously speed is important as well, but I am sure they will all be a substantial upgrade over the laptop HDD in there now. Staples will price match, so that is an option to get the best bang for buck (just remember the PM also has to include shipping cost).

Solid State Drives (SSD) | Staples®

Thanks for any help you can give on short notice.

If you are using it in SATA 2 enviros speed is not overly big a deal. TRIM will be and will come down to your specs. So without knowning them...I will give the recomendations I usuall give to SATA 2 users: Samsung, Intel, Crucial, Corsair. Hard to wrong with these companies models as they come with software based 'cleaning' making TRIM not so big a deal.

EDIT:
on that stables link....dont touch the std Sammy 840. ONLY the 840 PRO is worth looking at as the std uses TLC NAND. Quick n Dirty: think 10foot poles and how close I would come to using one in my own rigs. Same for the 2nd gen "MZ-7TE1" which is the 840 'EVO' model. TLC garbage.

Here is a better break down:

Plexy M5S is decent - basically a rebadged M3 w/ slightly newer controller. Think somewhere between a Crucial M4 and M500....ish. Havent RMA'ed with plextor so that is a ??

Kingston V300...is meh.

Plex M5Pro is good kit

HyperX is overpriced and old.

Wouldnt touch Lacie with a 50ft pole...but this is personal biases.

Sammy 840 Pro is very good kit.

Samy Std 840 is garbage.

Samy 840 Evo is garbage.

Intel 520 is older BUT still good kit. I use them all the time in builds.
...and the rest are well above your price range ...but follow the same pattern

Intel 520, Sammy Pro with dark horse of Plextor M5Pro

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 25, 2013, 01:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

@akg:
how about the adata? tnx
Old September 25, 2013, 01:26 PM

I dont see any AData's listed there but generally speaking Adata goes from 'meh' and goes downhill from there.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 25, 2013, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
If you are using it in SATA 2 enviros speed is not overly big a deal. TRIM will be and will come down to your specs. So without knowning them...I will give the recomendations I usuall give to SATA 2 users: Samsung, Intel, Crucial, Corsair. Hard to wrong with these companies models as they come with software based 'cleaning' making TRIM not so big a deal.

EDIT:
on that stables link....dont touch the std Sammy 840. ONLY the 840 PRO is worth looking at as the std uses TLC NAND. Quick n Dirty: think 10foot poles and how close I would come to using one in my own rigs. Same for the 2nd gen "MZ-7TE1" which is the 840 'EVO' model. TLC garbage.

Here is a better break down:

Plexy M5S is decent - basically a rebadged M3 w/ slightly newer controller. Think somewhere between a Crucial M4 and M500....ish. Havent RMA'ed with plextor so that is a ??

Kingston V300...is meh.

Plex M5Pro is good kit

HyperX is overpriced and old.

Wouldnt touch Lacie with a 50ft pole...but this is personal biases.

Sammy 840 Pro is very good kit.

Samy Std 840 is garbage.

Samy 840 Evo is garbage.

Intel 520 is older BUT still good kit. I use them all the time in builds.
...and the rest are well above your price range ...but follow the same pattern

Intel 520, Sammy Pro with dark horse of Plextor M5Pro

Thanks for the fast useful response. System it would likely go into is the acer in my sig (a8 3500m, 4gb ram...8gb on the way), if it doesn't go there it would be into my desktop (specs in the drop down system specs).

I saw the v300 (kingston) is a kit...is it useful for an SSD newcomer (or just gimmicky)? I would prefer if I could copy my drive and keep going then start all over on a new drive if I could (is there an easy way to do that?).

Thanks again.

Any other input?

Last edited by Bond007; September 25, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old September 25, 2013, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Now I am annoyed...I just took a look at everything in a bit more detail. The coupon is good instore only. The plex, and samsung pro are online only. The intel is too high capacity (read too expensive because of that).

That leaves the samsung 840 ("garbage" that could be PM'd to $108 - 40) and the v300 kit ("meh" that could be PM'd to $130 - 40). It looks like I may be bypassing this deal at this point.
Old September 25, 2013, 02:50 PM

V300 is OK....not great but for 90 bucks Id use it. IF Samsung paid ME 150 bucks...Id consider the Sammy 840....but probably wouldnt do it even then.

IMHO any SSD beats no SSD. ;)

Old October 1, 2013, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Damn this is sad news to me. I was considering buying a 840 250gb to replace my 128gb 830 and hand it down to the woman. Can get a 840 250gb for $155 new. Is it really that bad? I mean will I notice a difference in day to day use? I'd rather not dish out the $230 for a 256 840 pro if I don't have to.
Old October 1, 2013, 06:05 PM
MVP

Calling the 840 Evo garbage is pretty harsh, it's got pretty much universal acclaim from every respectable hardware review website.

AnandTech | Samsung SSD 840 EVO Review: 120GB, 250GB, 500GB, 750GB & 1TB Models Tested

Anandtech does some endurance estimates for the Evo, 50 GiB per day is a lot, and that still lasts 7+ years for the 120GiB model.
Old October 1, 2013, 06:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

For normal daily use I really doubt you would see any real world difference, 840s are fine IMO. At that price point Pabz0r545 I would get one for my OS and games. Life span is questionable but likely still 6 years or better with daily use, they come with 3 year warranty.