Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2013, 04:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default WD Green vs Red vs ?

I have a HDD that I am fairly sure if not all that healthy (bad sectors that do not seem like they want to be fixed) so I need to replace it before I lose even more data off of it.

Now, I am looking 2 or 3TB and I am looking for reliability as the main priority as this will be a storage drive, mostly for media and backups of other drives.

I was looking at NCIX for one and I saw the Red drives which I havent seen before, haven't been paying much attention for a while, and the fact that they are designed for 24/7 use has me interested. I don't plan on having a NAS yet, that will come with my next upgrade, but odds are those are going to be fairly reliable I was thinking. Now I don't know if the fact that I do turn my computer off from time to time will effect these, admittedly I don't turn my pc off nearly as much as I should, but it is a factor.

Money is ofcourse an issue otherwise I'd just get a Black drive.

I am replacing a Green 2TB which is why I'm leaning away from those but I dont know the state of Seagate or Hitatchi these days. So any advice/recommendations would be very helpful, thank you.
Old September 20, 2013, 04:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The red line of WD drives are more oriented towards server/NAS usage and even NAS and servers get powered off, from time to time. You should not be worried about it and the red line surely handle as much spin up's, as the green line. In fact, because it is a robust version of the drive, it should even handle more.
That is their purpose, after all.

So not to worry and grab the red WD drive.

On side note, I was against WD since I had some of their noisy old drives... but then I bought secondhand 500G PATA (old computer) drive WD5000AAKB and it is very quiet, almost no vibrations... and surprisingly fast. So if these new WD drives are alike this one, I cannot but recommend them wholeheartedly. Definitively it is notably faster in unpacking archives and stuff over say 320G Hitachi PATA drive T7K500, and half the 16MB WD cache should not be the issue in this particular test.
Old September 20, 2013, 09:26 AM
Allstar

Well if you want, you can look into Seagate NAS drives as well. The most important thing about the WD Red and Seagate NAS drives is that they can operate in hardware RAID without getting kicked off the RAID array. I done it with 2 Seagate 1TB Green drives and they both ended up bad sectoring. The HDD manufacturers either turn off the TLER or didn't bother implementing it in regular drives.

AnandTech | Battle of the 4 TB NAS Drives: WD Red and Seagate NAS HDD Face-Off
Old September 20, 2013, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Well if you want, you can look into Seagate NAS drives as well. The most important thing about the WD Red and Seagate NAS drives is that they can operate in hardware RAID without getting kicked off the RAID array. I done it with 2 Seagate 1TB Green drives and they both ended up bad sectoring. The HDD manufacturers either turn off the TLER or didn't bother implementing it in regular drives.

AnandTech | Battle of the 4 TB NAS Drives: WD Red and Seagate NAS HDD Face-Off
The NAS component isn't aall that relevant to me, I'm just looking for a harddrive that is affordable and has rock solid reliability. And is nice and large.
Old September 22, 2013, 08:12 AM
Rookie

Red have a longer warranty then the Greens
Blacks have a longer warranty then the Blues

Red and Greens are ~5400RPM, Blacks and Blues are 7200RPM. I've had good experience with WD Drives, and Samsung Drives. Usually it's a matter of cost and who has the "Crown" at the time I'm building a system. Now a days though there are far fewer players then there used to be, most "brands" are owned by either WD or Seagate