Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2013, 05:15 AM
Rookie

Default Are HDDs shipped with data cables?

Yeah, noob question, I know :D
But I've never bought a new HDD yet.
So, when I will be buying new HDD, do I need to buy the data cable separately, or is there one in the box?
And what about the screws?
Old August 7, 2013, 05:52 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nope^^ When you buy a HDD it generally does not even come in a box... I'm not sure they even make boxes for HDDs,what you get is the HDD with nothing else... The screws came with your case and the data cables with your motherboard.
Old August 7, 2013, 06:42 AM
Rookie

OK, thanks for replying
Old August 7, 2013, 07:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
Nope^^ When you buy a HDD it generally does not even come in a box... I'm not sure they even make boxes for HDDs,what you get is the HDD with nothing else... The screws came with your case and the data cables with your motherboard.
There are two types being sold. oem and retail.

OEM is the drive and a static bag. Retail is a box with goodies.
Old August 7, 2013, 07:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Heh, i bought at least 4 hard drives and i never got any box with any goodies^^ how do you get them? And how come did i get OEM? thought it was for profesionnals..
Old August 7, 2013, 07:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
There are two types being sold. oem and retail.

OEM is the drive and a static bag. Retail is a box with goodies.
Exactly what Enab said, and if you buy hard drives from say ncix or most computer retailers it'll be OEM, meaning no cable. The item itself will say if it's OEM or not too to help you out.
Old August 7, 2013, 09:35 AM
Top Prospect

I think there used to be some Hitachi drives that came in a box even though it was described as OEM. I don't recall it having accessories though.
Old August 7, 2013, 03:46 PM
Allstar

OEM isn't for professional, it's for people who know what they are doing. Just because you know what you're doing doesn't make you professional. Places like FutureShop and BestBuy will carry full retail box HDD. I never purchased a retail HDD but I assume it has everything you need to install and get it working right the way (SATA cable and instruction manual). Given how cheap data cable is, just pick one up while you're picking up the OEM HDD. However, retail SSD may come with mounting kit for mounting 2.5 inch in 3.5 inch slots.
Old August 7, 2013, 08:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

To be honest, I can't remember the last time my HDD came with anything. Ever.

But every SSD I have ever received has come with a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor, Sata and Power adaptor cable.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com