Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2013, 07:51 AM
Top Prospect

Default Cruical M500 960Gb User Experiences

Has anyone taken delivery of one of these monsters? If so - how does it work for you?

Stock still seems to be an issue. Everything considered, I can understand this - should be a very high demand product.

I would really like to know about performance and - more importantly - reliability, from real world users.

Thanks in advance!
Old July 15, 2013, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No way would I trust that much data to a SSD yet. No way.
Old July 15, 2013, 01:13 PM
Allstar

That's what backups are for :) But I agree, I am not quite ready yet to entrust critical data storage to an SSD.
Old July 15, 2013, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Provided you're running a weekly backup to a HDD, (which you should for any SSD carrying critical data) I don't see any issue with it. However, I'm curious why you would need so much space all accessible via SSD? I run 2x 250GB SSD's (one as a primary with libraries, work and productivity software installed, and one that only houses game installs) and I use a HDD to store backups, temp files, etc. Then I have a NAS for movies/TV, but an installed HDD works for that too.

I find that anything beyond 500GB or so of SSD space isn't really efficient use of your SSD. It only changes boot times and software loads for the vast majority of users, so just ensure that your most commonly used programs are installed to it. I've chosen to split my storage across 2 SSD's so a single failure won't be so bad, but that's just opinion.

But then again... if it's just bragging rights you're after, then by all means... spend away. Just run a weekly ghost of your 960GB. Unfortunately, ghosting the drive WILL expend some of the life of your SSD each time... ironic eh?
Old July 16, 2013, 03:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Only restoring surely? be a bit stupid to store the image of the drive your ghosting on that drive.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 16, 2013, 05:19 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah, nuke and paving every week is a touch overkill. The drive will only 'use' some of its lifespan on writes. Reads take less voltage and have nearly zero impact on the NAND.

Do a bare metal acronis image after installing and authorizing windows, install your software and drivers, make a second image (call it full version), then do a Advanced Token Manager backup of your windows authorization tokens, store it all on a HDD, usb external drive and a third place...and then setup an Acronis Non-Stop backup to save to a hdd. Bam you are covered no matter what and will be only minimally inconvenienced if anything goes wrong with any part of the rig.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 18, 2013, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Curious why so many don't trust SSD's yet. They last as long as hard drives and have similar failure rates if not lower. SSD's are far better in laptops as laptops tend to be moved around a lot and can cause a hard drive head to skip. Think of the hundreds of millions of phones and tablets all using flash storage and there isn't a high failure rate for the storage. Also people are FAR too paranoid of write limits for SSD's. The average person will take decades to use up all their writes. Sure you read about people testing SSD's and they die quickly but most people are not writing terabytes a day. The average person at most writes 10 GB a day.

Lastly it doesn't matter what storage medium you are using you must use a backup for all important data.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 18, 2013, 06:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I have over 1TB of SSD storage in my desktop (across 4 drives though) and it's been just as reliable as any hard drive thus far.

Granted doesn't the M500 use "cheaper" NAND? If you buy something with decent quality NAND, I suspect it should last you the same time (if not longer) as a hard drive.

I would suggest a high quality PSU too along with a UPS so you ensure your SSD's get nice clean power. That should increase the lifespan too I'd imagine.
Old July 18, 2013, 07:21 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nope. The M500's NAND isnt cheaper in that its less durable....rather its cheaper as they can fit more cells per waffer. The M500's ONFI 3 doubled the block size and page size (16K pages and now 512 pages per block vs 8K and 256)...so it does cost it some small file performance...but it should be just as durable as this gen's ONFi 2! its jsut that it erases 4x the number of cells per block erasure. Not really a big deal TBH. Just a touch loss of performance. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 22, 2013, 10:36 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
However, I'm curious why you would need so much space all accessible via SSD? I run 2x 250GB SSD's (one as a primary with libraries, work and productivity software installed, and one that only houses game installs) and I use a HDD to store backups, temp files, etc. Then I have a NAS for movies/TV, but an installed HDD works for that too.
I am asking for my laptop used for video and photo editing, and DJing.

SSD for shock resistance as well as speed. The speed jump is not as great as it could be, since there are only SATA 1 ports. It is a few years old, but has been a real workhorse all along, and always took upgrades with a smile. This is a Fujitsu P770 12.1" laptop with i7 processor and 8Gb memory - not really sufficient, but I will not be upgrading until the next generation of screens hit the market and 14" displays that go beyond 1920x1080 are available.

Lots of space is needed for large video files, which can be duplicated once or twice or more times during editing.

The laptop had two Intel SSDs - 480gb and 240Gb. That proved to be insufficient. Currently has 480Gb 520 series for booting (XP and Win8 partitions) and music, and a 750Gb WD Black for data. About to load the videos from this past weekend, which with the photo library will have used up well over 50% of the WD drive.

Yes, the laptop is backed up regularly. Now that there are spinning platters, the backups will be much more frequent.