Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2013, 08:15 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Western Digital SE 4TB Hard Drive Review Comment Thread

Western Digital's SE 4TTB is a drive which targets entry level enterprise customers who are seeking a scalable, large capacity solution that can easily be expanded should the need arise.

Read more here: Western Digital SE 4TB Hard Drive Review (Single and RAID)
Old August 20, 2013, 02:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Given a choice between the 2TB version of this and the black... What would you go for if the RE4 was $5 cheaper.?

What would the pro's and cons be in comparison?
I see mention that this isn't an ideal drive for home use but the RW tests shows it out performs the Black.
What is noise like? (Trying for a much quieter build)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old August 20, 2013, 05:15 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It really depends what your needs are IMO (other than a quiet rig that is). The SE has a slightly lower MTBF but that really won't matter in a home-use environment.
Old August 20, 2013, 06:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Mostly storage TBH but I'll be using it as a boot drive till I get my new SSD(s)

I guess performance isn't going to be much of an issue (not that I'll be able to notice between the 2..)

Is guess if the noise comparable to the black I'll get it.. if the black is MUCH quieter then i'll go for that...
Any idea's on spin-up time? once I have my SSD's disks go idle allot till I watch movies or play games that i don't want on SSD.

Cheers for the reply.

Old August 20, 2013, 06:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I find the spin up time on my Green's are atrocious. I'm assuming these would make a good replacement for a few 2TB Green's?

Scratch that. I was thinking of the Reds!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; August 20, 2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old August 20, 2013, 01:54 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I dont think you could wrong with any of them TBH. It will come down to a few isssues.

How long will you be using them as an OS drive? Weeks? Months? Short term the TLER issue is a non-issue. Long term...it can become one (usually not...but sometimes it can be). So it would be Black for long term. Short term RE.

How big a deal is noise levels? If its important...get the Black.

If neither is a big deal and the RE is cheaper than the SE...get the RE. For home use both are overkill..but why spend more for the SE when the RE is a bit more durable. Its louder though...so if noise is kinda sorta important (but TLER is not) the SE is the one to get.

Hope that helps put the three into perspective. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 22, 2013, 06:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Does indeed... Got the Black... Will be weeks / max 2 months as os (unless ssd dies) and noise is becoming more and more of a pet peve for me.

Cheers for the insight.