Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2013, 06:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ahh. that makes more sense then.

Try this List of USB Flash Drives with Hardware Write Protection Switch Fencepost Software & Consulting

I would also guess that USB 2.0 is fast enough, so that may be a way to keep your cost down rather than the $120 for that 64GB USB 3.0 one.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 5, 2013, 01:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

it does make sense indeed. I thought I'd ask here hoping someone else might know of something, or have first hand experience with something more specific to recommend.....as it turns out, I'm always looking for obscure things like this, never anything common, and I end up having to compromise a lot

well, to be honest I've been thinking about that 120$, it is an aluminium shell apparently on that drive, not exactly worth double the price though

realistically, for booting from, i don't even think they'll run at usb3 speed for winpe anyway? I could be wrong. it's the convenience of added write speed when transferring/adding data to the drive, especially drivers and such, so many small files that USB 3.0 would be preferable, but I could live without since' i'd only really have to transfer the bulk of it once *hopefully*

I guess I'll have to keep hunting for now
Old July 5, 2013, 01:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis1 View Post
it does make sense indeed. I thought I'd ask here hoping someone else might know of something, or have first hand experience with something more specific to recommend.....as it turns out, I'm always looking for obscure things like this, never anything common, and I end up having to compromise a lot

well, to be honest I've been thinking about that 120$, it is an aluminium shell apparently on that drive, not exactly worth double the price though

realistically, for booting from, i don't even think they'll run at usb3 speed for winpe anyway? I could be wrong. it's the convenience of added write speed when transferring/adding data to the drive, especially drivers and such, so many small files that USB 3.0 would be preferable, but I could live without since' i'd only really have to transfer the bulk of it once *hopefully*

I guess I'll have to keep hunting for now
IIRC usb3 still requires drivers so I'm assuming it wouldn't even boot native from bios.

edit: and I know what you mean about looking for obscure things... I dunno how many times I've gone to the hardware store with a specific "product" in mind only to be told that such things don't exist.... :) (wireless doorbell set w/ electrical contacts to slave into existing upstairs wired doorbell comes to mind... ;0 ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 5, 2013, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You would need an expensive drive to max out USB 2 speeds never mind 3. and then obviously the whole USB 3 needs drivers malarky.. though that should only be an issue if you use the USB 3 port.

Most disks won't write as fast as 2.0(35MB/s) and 3.0 is out for boot drive.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more devices available

You could always go down the route mentioned in that last link, though I don't know if it would work out-side of an OS as it's meant more for virus protection.
"Looking for a USB Flash Drive with Read Only or Write Protect Switch describes how to create a customized U3 partition based on an ISO file that will mount as a virtual CD-ROM."

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 5, 2013, 05:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the problem with booting iso's is that most boot loaders that can do so, require the thing to be formatted fat32, at least that i know, and more than likely that will kill the transfer speed when it comes to small files, as if ntfs over usb wasn't bad enough for that, then there's the file size limit, and with my wim images for os installs, that's a problem

now the new bootmgr for win 8 has the native ability to boot from vhd's, its only too bad they can't be a raw vhd file so that you could boot linux variants from vhd's as well. i was really disapointed when i started experimenting with the new bootmgr for my multiboot key and discovered that. leave it to ms to make something good, and only go half way with it

either way, the hunt continues, im in no rush tbh, it's more something of a convenience.