Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2008, 05:05 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default SMART error

I just got a SMART message from one of my hard drives. No apparent issues, but this worries me because I am using RAID0, so the loss of a drive is an enormous pain in the .

Any idea what this means, what can be done, etc.?
Asus p5K-E Wifi/AP / Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 / 2GB Crucial BallistiX DDR2 1066 / eVGA 8800 GTS 512mb / Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 / Razer Barracuda audio / Seageate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB / PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750w
Old April 27, 2008, 06:17 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Hard drive is no longer performing properly = probably dying. Time to do a backup and RMA it. Sorry.
Old April 27, 2008, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

check your hard drive temps, last time i had a smart error it was because the fan that was cooling them piled up. unfortunatly the damage was permanant so i always got that error and ended up ditching the drives.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old April 28, 2008, 06:20 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
check your hard drive temps, last time i had a smart error it was because the fan that was cooling them piled up. unfortunatly the damage was permanant so i always got that error and ended up ditching the drives.
I don't think it should be temps. the HDDs are placed a rack apart to improve airflow, and there is an intake fan blowing cool air across them. The fan was working the whole time.

They are new drives, though, so I guess if they fail at all they probably fail now. I just registered them for warranty, so thats not a problem.

One other thing. I'm using Vista OEM (which the license informs me in more than three places is highly illegal). Will there be any difficulty re-installing it on the new drive?
Asus p5K-E Wifi/AP / Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 / 2GB Crucial BallistiX DDR2 1066 / eVGA 8800 GTS 512mb / Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 / Razer Barracuda audio / Seageate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB / PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750w