Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2013, 06:11 PM
Rookie

Default What is the best program out, to recover my files from a hdd that has turned into raw

Long story short, i received a virus on my main hdd, trying to fix it; by changing boot settings( because i have 5 hdd connected on my system) i was trying to install windows on another hdd. And try to recover my hdd that had the virus on it, but this ended up, changing one of my other hdd to RAW, that had a lot of data saved on it.... about 1tb.

So i would like some opinion on what program to get so i can retrieve my data on my raw drive. It doesn't matter if the software cost money i don't mind paying, because i want to get all my files back.
Also What program is the best at retrieving hdd data, and is there another way of retrieving my data, please let me know thanks in advance +rep.

The steps I've taken so far, are removing my hdd that now shows raw and installing it on a external, then connect it on my laptop and it still shows as raw and tells me to format.
Old June 17, 2013, 06:36 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If you are into Linux, I've used dd_rescue with success, on a damaged disk. You can use these instructions (Damaged Hard Disk - CGSecurity); dd_rescue is at the end of the page. You will need a new disk of same size or larger as the damaged one, and use the fdisk command to define the disks (sda, sdb, etc) in lieu of the 'old disk' / 'new disk' example. If old disk is sda, and new disk is sdb, then:

Quote:
./ddrescue -n /dev/sda /dev/sdb rescued.log
./ddrescue -r 1 /dev/sda /dev/sdb rescued.log
Old June 17, 2013, 07:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
If you are into Linux, I've used dd_rescue with success, on a damaged disk. You can use these instructions (Damaged Hard Disk - CGSecurity); dd_rescue is at the end of the page. You will need a new disk of same size or larger as the damaged one, and use the fdisk command to define the disks (sda, sdb, etc) in lieu of the 'old disk' / 'new disk' example. If old disk is sda, and new disk is sdb, then:
Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is that I've installed windows 7 already. Also i am not to familiar with linux (never used it before, well look into it though)
Old June 17, 2013, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've had good luck with a free program called Recuva. Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 18, 2013, 07:51 AM
Rookie

Thanks Lpfan4ever and charlie, i managed to look around and found the best recovery software called active @ delete awesome program, recovered all my work, plus in a neatly form, the same files and folder names i inputted.

Thanks guys for reply's and if anyone else has gone through the same issue use the program i mentioned.