Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2013, 02:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile What's THe Best 512GB SSD??

Hello guys. I hope that you are all doing great. I have a question here that I need to ask. I want to purchase an SSD to add to the one that I already have. I used to have 2 x 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD and 2TB Seagate HDD. I gave one of the SSDs and the HDD to my wife when I made the HTPC for her. Now I need something bigger to accommodate my games, saved programming work and designs. I can afford it so money is not an issue. Thanks in advance for your input. Below is what I am currently considering to purchase.

Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5in SATA3 MDX Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD
Plextor 512GB SSD M5 Pro Xtreme 2.5 SATA3 6GB/S Mounting BRACKET/SOFTWARE
OCZ Vector 512GB 2.5IN SATA3 6GB/S Indilinx Barefoot 3 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD
Old June 12, 2013, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

http:// http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX41199/Reviews

Little small but still a good ssd.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
If I was to for SanDisk then I'd best wait for the new ones to hit the store shelves. But their warranty is short compared to other brands. I am currently leaning towards Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB.
Old June 12, 2013, 10:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
If I was to for SanDisk then I'd best wait for the new ones to hit the store shelves. But their warranty is short compared to other brands. I am currently leaning towards Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB.
Be careful, if I recall, Samsung SSD's lack warranty in Canada. Not sure if this has changed yet or not.

I personally have a Mushkin Chronos 480GB (two of them actually) and they've been running great. I use it for games on my desktop and virtual machines in my server. I got them for $240 a piece on Newegg at the beginning of the year.

The Crucial M500 480GB is probably worth considering too. Or the slightly older M4 512GB.

Personally, I wouldn't spend over $400 on any SSD. Regardless of warranties, it's bound to die and there's bound to be better/faster models out within a year's time and at a lower price. I would only spend >$400 if you absolutely have a need for extreme performance/life span.

Last edited by JD; June 12, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Be careful, if I recall, Samsung SSD's lack warranty in Canada. Not sure if this has changed yet or not.

I personally have a Mushkin Chronos 480GB (two of them actually) and they've been running great. I use it for games on my desktop and virtual machines in my server. I got them for $240 a piece on Newegg at the beginning of the year.

The Crucial M500 480GB is probably worth considering too. Or the slightly older M4 512GB.

Personally, I wouldn't spend over $400 on any SSD. Regardless of warranties, it's bound to die and there's bound to be better/faster models out within a year's time and at a lower price. I would only spend >$400 if you absolutely have a need for extreme performance/life span.
Thanks for your input. I will look up and see whether or not they have changed that warranty debacle here in Canada. I bought my Samsung 830s because of performance and longevity and I hope to get a big one for the same thing. I really do need the speed and life span. But again, as you mentioned, I should just look for something that can be had for a good price and still offer long life and performance.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:17 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

So it looks like they still don't provide warranty in Canada.. Here's their current website and look they have the SSDs picture but when I click it I only see the optical drive..SUPPORT | SAMSUNG
Old June 13, 2013, 12:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Personally, I don't see why your programming files need to be on the SSD? Aren't these effectively text and image files? That seems better suited on a RAID1 setup of HDD's with maybe some external backup too so that you don't risk losing them.

If you have the money though and want the fastest you can get, you should look at PCI Express SSD's instead. Those typically offer far higher performance than SATA 6Gbps can provide.
Old June 13, 2013, 12:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Personally, I don't see why your programming files need to be on the SSD? Aren't these effectively text and image files? That seems better suited on a RAID1 setup of HDD's with maybe some external backup too so that you don't risk losing them.

If you have the money though and want the fastest you can get, you should look at PCI Express SSD's instead. Those typically offer far higher performance than SATA 6Gbps can provide.
I have the money but I don't need the speed of the PCI-E SSDs. A high performing SATA 3 would do.. So let's take Samsung out of the picture and I think I might as well just go ahead and grab an Intel one..and sell my current 256 GB Samsung 830. Someone can have it for cheap. I don't want to deal with their stuff until they provide proper way of coverage here in Canada

EDIT: I have an external drive for backup. I am moving away from mechanical drives completely since I don't need massive storage. My usual 3D tasks take about 5-10 GB of space depending on the level of design and articles I add to them. I do house stuff so if I had a 512 GB SSD then that would be good for OS, Necessary Programs, 3D work and coding, and Games. Even a 480 is good enough but now I am not sure who to buy from since my number one choice, Samsung, turned out to be bullshiters!

I keep hearing bad things about OCZ, I am not sure about Crucial, I don't want Corsair because I'd have to pay shipping to California like I did with my Corsair H80i, Kingston seem good but they charge too much for 480 GB. I have decided to curb spending so I can save up for a new case, another GTX 780 HC and bigger rad.

Last edited by hero1; June 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old June 13, 2013, 12:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

And the sad thing is that no one has the stock for Intel 520 480 GB drive. I guess I might as well wait and see. I can't believe the bs that Samsung is pulling on us Canadians.

EDIT: I've decided to just wait for the stock to arrive for Intel 525 480 GB. Until then I'll manage with my 256 GB Samsung 830!

Last edited by hero1; June 13, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old June 16, 2013, 03:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say Samsung 840 Pro