Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25, 2008, 11:00 AM
Top Prospect

Default Dvd Burner

I am going to be purchasing a Dvd burner soon and was wondering if anyone had any advice on which one to get. I am mainly going to be using it to backup to and to burn backup dvd's and such.

Pioneer DVR-212D

Samsung SH-S203N

Last edited by Mulder; April 25, 2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: wrong Samsung model listed
Old April 25, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There's no real difference, as long as it'll last - which both of those will.

The major thing there is that the Samsung has Lightscribe which could be a fun feature although not exactly a performance factor etc.
Old April 25, 2008, 11:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

I had 2 Samsung's, an older one with IDE, never a problem.
I say had, because I "accidently" unplugged the IDE cable without turning the power off and blew it.
Now I have one, works okay.
Old April 25, 2008, 11:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
The major thing there is that the Samsung has Lightscribe which could be a fun feature although not exactly a performance factor etc.
Sorry Encorp, but the Samsung SH-203B does not have Lightscribe. I have one. The SH-S203N is the Lightscribe model. (Edit: Whoops, I see the link is to the N drive, but the OP says B)

Another good drive is the Asus DRW-20L14T (I think that's the model number). I have one of those as well and it is a Lightscribe drive.

In any case, all these drives can be found for under $30. (check NCIX's Big Byte savings) The Samsungs seem to be the most popular/well reviewed by the CD-phile bunch.

Last edited by SugarJ; April 25, 2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: link comment
Old April 25, 2008, 06:18 PM
Top Prospect

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the samsung Sh-S203N , lightscribe looks like it could be quite a useful feature. I do hope I don't accidentally attempt to to hotswap this burner, sorry to hear about your mishap DK2.

Samsung SH-S203N