Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2013, 02:02 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Actually for SSD reviews...I do BOTH Vista and Win7 testing (IMHO its not needed for HDDs, only worst case scenario is needed). I also include a very fast HDD in the SSD charts....its always at the bottom...so you may have missed it. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 24, 2013, 02:52 PM
Top Prospect

Anyone purchasing this would be using it as a storage drive anyways (right?) so I think the boot time tests are moot :P
Old May 24, 2013, 04:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Question Last point/question, I promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by av3n View Post
Anyone purchasing this would be using it as a storage drive anyways (right?) so I think the boot time tests are moot :P
I do understand that it's like drag races for tractor-trailers (thought they have them too); for consistency and comparative evaluation purposes, it is nice to have those charts, nevertheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Actually for SSD reviews...I do BOTH Vista and Win7 testing (IMHO its not needed for HDDs, only worst case scenario is needed). I also include a very fast HDD in the SSD charts....its always at the bottom...so you may have missed it. :P
No, did not miss it, WD 150GB VR, which is good.

Last point/question, I promise. Now if that same drive was in the HDD test charts (as is in the SSD charts) than to extrapolate comparative times between HDD to SSD would easier, in my opinion. Or can I treat the WD 1TB VR (in the HDD charts) as a 'same-ish' drive, relative to the WD 150GB VR? Thanks in advance.
Old May 24, 2013, 06:45 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hey man ask ALL the questions you want. I honestly dont mind! So ask away. :)

The latest SSD reviews have the 1TB Vraptor in it and so too does the HDD reviews...or they should anyways....IF they dont, its probably a screw up on labeling and I will fix it. :)

I too agree on including boot and app load times...as its another point of comparison and give a better idea of a given drives overall abilities. Boot times and app stress small file performance more than anything which is important even for data drives.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 24, 2013, 09:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by av3n View Post
Not by a long shot. SSD's are still Niche as far as I am concerned. They are steadily becomming a Norm, but there is a massive vested interest in Platter drives because of GB/$.

Why omit a form of testing that may be valid still for a lot of people.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 25, 2013, 02:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Not by a long shot. SSD's are still Niche as far as I am concerned. They are steadily becomming a Norm, but there is a massive vested interest in Platter drives because of GB/$.

Why omit a form of testing that may be valid still for a lot of people.

-ST
Really with the price of even a tiny boot SSD, if someone doesn't have one these days they are probably not going to spent $200 on a HDD or are buying a pre-built system and have no choice anyway.

If this was a more main-stream part I would 100% agree. That said, it would then cause variations between main-stream and high-end HDD's.

Not saying your wrong that there should be some standard tests between the 2 but they are different parts and have to be tested the way they are supposed to be used.

But to use the car analogy it's like doing this: Ascari A10 - Video

Last edited by Dzzope; May 25, 2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Really with the price of even a tiny boot SSD, if someone doesn't have one these days they are probably not going to spent $200 on a HDD or are buying a pre-built system and have no choice anyway.

If this was a more main-stream part I would 100% agree. That said, it would then cause variations between main-stream and high-end HDD's.

Not saying your wrong that there should be some standard tests between the 2 but they are different parts and have to be tested the way they are supposed to be used.

Here is the way I look at it, and only because I work in the technology industry at the core level.
Cookie cutter PC's and Lappys and the likes of servers are still all physical platter HDD's.
For me, in the industry, seeing how this drive performs all tasks is crucial. We are still a ways away before I'll vote for SSD's as being mainstream. Don't get me wrong, with their costs you can get a Chronos 120 for sub $100 on MIR and be laughing all the way home on boot times.
But the Enthusiast PC market is still a trickle in a big ocean when it comes to products like these.

Overall, the review was great and something to make mention of when I am working on configs.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 25, 2013, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post

SSDs are still to pricey and volatile for a lot of people especially the non-techy people. They want something reliable and frankly a lot of the SSDs out there still have too many issues.

Only reason I'm running an SSD is it was used and cheap and a good brand.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

This is my point, a HDD of this price will not be on the shopping list of anyone that is on a tight budget.

Anyone doing volume builds or anyone without the budget would not be looking at a high end drive. Those that would look at this will already be looking at SSD's.

Even if someone isn't looking at SSD's they would be comparing them to other hdd's and the tests show where this drive stands in comparison to other HDD's.
Can't agree that they NEED to change the tests so that you can compare HDD's to SSD's. there is already the VR in there for reference anyway.