Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2013, 01:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Best backup solution HDD (non raid)

Hello!

I am soon to add a SSD too my rig, and wanted to buy a HDD just for backups.

Background: Crosshair V mobo, 1tb wd black HDD, (soon to be) 240gig intel 520.

I was thinking I should invest in the enterprise grade HDD for my backups because I really hate doing DVD backups, and thus rarely do them.

WD 2TB RE4 7200rpm Enterprise Hard Drive, SATA II w/ 64MB Cache at Memory Express

Overkill?

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.
Old May 4, 2013, 03:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If all you're going to use it for is backups or storage, why bother with a 7200rpm drive? Why not go with a 2tb WD green for half the price (99.99)
WD 2TB Caviar Green 5400rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache at Memory Express

Unless there's a reason to go with the enterprise I'm not aware of, but for how often you'd have to access the drive I would think a WD Green would be the way to go.
Old May 4, 2013, 03:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

or use a clone app to back up data on usb stik
Old May 5, 2013, 02:09 AM
MVP

RAID is your best cost-efficient option. NCIX has 3TB Seagates going for $120, and 2TB for $90, 1TB for even less. Price beat them at MemX.
In your case, I would just mirror (RAID1) your 1TB drive and be done with it.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks guys. Lots to consider, but all options are cheaper than my solution!
Old May 5, 2013, 06:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

enterprise drives die just as easily as regular drives... they just have longer warranties.

if you are serious about your backups and don't mind spending a reasonable dollar a real backup program (Acronis Home for example) tied with an external USB drive would be my recommendation. An internal drive will be quicker and all, but the external USB drive will protect you from more outage scenarios (PSU shorts out and fries everything in your tower as a real world example). A backup program like Acronis should help you restore your data to different hardware better than Windows Backup will (if this turns into your outage scenario)... plus it will give you better options for controlling your data retention (how long a backup will hang around on your USB before being over-written, etc.).

RAID is not a backup... it's an up time solution. Never saw an "undelete" option in a raid card control panel... laffff
Old May 5, 2013, 07:19 PM
Rookie

I have two 500GB HDDs in raid 0. They've always been in raid 0 and have always worked until now. The problem is that when I boot up, one disk gets read as "non-raid disk" and it won't boot up the operating system. I've tried a bunch of different things but I can't figure out what it is. Now, I can't do anything.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
RAID is not a backup... it's an up time solution. Never saw an "undelete" option in a raid card control panel... laffff
One nice part of having a decent NAS, network recycle bin! Anything that gets deleted, I have retained for 14 days, then it actually deletes it.

So in some cases, RAID can be considered a backup to a certain extent. Obviously it won't save you from acts of god, power surges, or some other odd hardware failure, but largely it'll keep your data safe.
Old May 5, 2013, 08:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Lets be clear. Thats a nice feature for a NAS. Thats not a feature of RAID.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
enterprise drives die just as easily as regular drives... they just have longer warranties.

if you are serious about your backups and don't mind spending a reasonable dollar a real backup program (Acronis Home for example) tied with an external USB drive would be my recommendation. An internal drive will be quicker and all, but the external USB drive will protect you from more outage scenarios (PSU shorts out and fries everything in your tower as a real world example). A backup program like Acronis should help you restore your data to different hardware better than Windows Backup will (if this turns into your outage scenario)... plus it will give you better options for controlling your data retention (how long a backup will hang around on your USB before being over-written, etc.).

That more than likely was true in the Spindle HDD era, but as the world is getting more into SSD's , you see that the NAND, provisioning, Firmware, and ITGC of Enterprise vs Consumer is a Vastly different animal.
Enterprise in the SSD market, is more than just warranty.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com