Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2013, 07:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup Enterprise SSD is an entirely different animal from the consumer grade kit.

BUT I would still trust a Enterprise HDD over a consumer grade hdd. They are built to a higher standard AND go through a LOT more testing before leaving the factory.

As for the question. A cheap internal hdd with a RAID 1 or Raid 1+0 NAS as backup to the backup would be more optimal. Easy to make your own NAS...just take an old rig, a couple hdds and add FreeNAS. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 6, 2013, 07:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Lets be clear. Thats a nice feature for a NAS. Thats not a feature of RAID.
Yes, totally. I was trying to make a point of saying that a NAS is a better "backup solution" than putting an extra hard drive inside your computer.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

+1 for FreeNAS

as for enterprise hard drives, the typical main difference is the spindle if fastened on both ends which keeps the platter level over longer period of time, or something like that, and they tend to have longer warranty's, not necessarily more robust though otherwise
Old May 7, 2013, 06:13 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes...they are more robust. Design features which are defacto standard for the Enterprise arena do trickle down to the consumer market....but these features are usually watered down. They also - as already stated - go through a LOT more quality control to ensure the DOAs are removed from the channel before they hit the IT dept. Only potential issue is TLER...and for data storage duties (ie non OS drive) its pretty much a minor, minor issue bordering on non-issue.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 7, 2013, 07:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yes...they are more robust. Design features which are defacto standard for the Enterprise arena do trickle down to the consumer market....but these features are usually watered down. They also - as already stated - go through a LOT more quality control to ensure the DOAs are removed from the channel before they hit the IT dept. Only potential issue is TLER...and for data storage duties (ie non OS drive) its pretty much a minor, minor issue bordering on non-issue.
I just had 2 green drives drop out of a raid array because of the lack of TLER, they still pass a full diag, but it's a pain having to clear errors in a ZFS pool. I replaced them with 3tb red's, and the other drives went into a degraded status on me during the rebuild. this is the second time that's happened.

if your building any kind of raid, get a drive with TLER. I've swapped out 3 drives so far for that reason, 3 more to go