Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2013, 12:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Help: external raid goes to sleep

I have a 6TB WD MyBook Studio II setup in raid 1. I use it to store my archive of photos (I'm a photographer). Sometimes accessing the drive takes forever. As if it falls asleep due to inactivity. I think they are 2x 3TB WD green series drives. Is this normal? I want to find a way to keep the drives awake at all times so that I never have to wait.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aressem View Post
I have a 6TB WD MyBook Studio II setup in raid 1. I use it to store my archive of photos (I'm a photographer). Sometimes accessing the drive takes forever. As if it falls asleep due to inactivity. I think they are 2x 3TB WD green series drives. Is this normal? I want to find a way to keep the drives awake at all times so that I never have to wait.
Greens are the absolute worst drives for a RAID setup. Unfortunately there is a fix but I do not know if the fix works once the drives are setup.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:39 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Greens are the absolute worst drives for a RAID setup. Unfortunately there is a fix but I do not know if the fix works once the drives are setup.
What is so terrible about greens? I don't think the MyBook studio II accepts any other drives :(
Old May 2, 2013, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aressem View Post
What is so terrible about greens? I don't think the MyBook studio II accepts any other drives :(
Critical Design Flaw Found in WD Caviar Green HDDs
Old May 2, 2013, 01:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Wonderful...
Old May 2, 2013, 01:41 PM
Allstar

What you can do if everything is setup and you don't want to play with the firmware is to create a batch file that modify a text file every 10 seconds I think is the sweet spot. its enough to keep the greens from "sleeping" and dropping out of an array. The greens as a whole should just never had been a thing, the blue line is the lowest it should have ever gone(though I think the blue's suffer a similar sleeping "feature").
Old May 2, 2013, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

From the info I've gathered investigating external raids it was suggested to me to use enterprise class Hitachi drives. A couple of my IT buddies really like them.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old May 2, 2013, 05:41 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
From the info I've gathered investigating external raids it was suggested to me to use enterprise class Hitachi drives. A couple of my IT buddies really like them.
Interesting. I appreciate the feedback.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:08 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
I have 16TB of Hitachi drives, they work flawless. WD owns them now though so I dont know if they merged their two techs. I also have 8TB in REDs that work just as well, though maybe a bit slower then my Hitachi drives. I might have some seagates in there as well, if I do they are an older design maybe a 7200.12.... all my .11s died a awful death.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:22 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
I have 16TB of Hitachi drives, they work flawless. WD owns them now though so I dont know if they merged their two techs. I also have 8TB in REDs that work just as well, though maybe a bit slower then my Hitachi drives. I might have some seagates in there as well, if I do they are an older design maybe a 7200.12.... all my .11s died a awful death.
Which of the Hitachi drives do you recommend?