Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Help: external raid goes to sleep (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/61017-help-external-raid-goes-sleep.html)

Aressem May 2, 2013 12:02 PM

Help: external raid goes to sleep

I have a 6TB WD MyBook Studio II setup in raid 1. I use it to store my archive of photos (I'm a photographer). Sometimes accessing the drive takes forever. As if it falls asleep due to inactivity. I think they are 2x 3TB WD green series drives. Is this normal? I want to find a way to keep the drives awake at all times so that I never have to wait.

enaberif May 2, 2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aressem (Post 706764)
I have a 6TB WD MyBook Studio II setup in raid 1. I use it to store my archive of photos (I'm a photographer). Sometimes accessing the drive takes forever. As if it falls asleep due to inactivity. I think they are 2x 3TB WD green series drives. Is this normal? I want to find a way to keep the drives awake at all times so that I never have to wait.

Greens are the absolute worst drives for a RAID setup. Unfortunately there is a fix but I do not know if the fix works once the drives are setup.

Aressem May 2, 2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 706777)
Greens are the absolute worst drives for a RAID setup. Unfortunately there is a fix but I do not know if the fix works once the drives are setup.

What is so terrible about greens? I don't think the MyBook studio II accepts any other drives :(

enaberif May 2, 2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aressem (Post 706782)
What is so terrible about greens? I don't think the MyBook studio II accepts any other drives :(

Critical Design Flaw Found in WD Caviar Green HDDs

Aressem May 2, 2013 01:09 PM

Wonderful...

BlueByte May 2, 2013 01:41 PM

What you can do if everything is setup and you don't want to play with the firmware is to create a batch file that modify a text file every 10 seconds I think is the sweet spot. its enough to keep the greens from "sleeping" and dropping out of an array. The greens as a whole should just never had been a thing, the blue line is the lowest it should have ever gone(though I think the blue's suffer a similar sleeping "feature").

clshades May 2, 2013 05:18 PM

From the info I've gathered investigating external raids it was suggested to me to use enterprise class Hitachi drives. A couple of my IT buddies really like them.

Aressem May 2, 2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clshades (Post 706841)
From the info I've gathered investigating external raids it was suggested to me to use enterprise class Hitachi drives. A couple of my IT buddies really like them.

Interesting. I appreciate the feedback.

BlueByte May 2, 2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clshades (Post 706841)

I have 16TB of Hitachi drives, they work flawless. WD owns them now though so I dont know if they merged their two techs. I also have 8TB in REDs that work just as well, though maybe a bit slower then my Hitachi drives. I might have some seagates in there as well, if I do they are an older design maybe a 7200.12.... all my .11s died a awful death.

Aressem May 2, 2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueByte (Post 706850)
I have 16TB of Hitachi drives, they work flawless. WD owns them now though so I dont know if they merged their two techs. I also have 8TB in REDs that work just as well, though maybe a bit slower then my Hitachi drives. I might have some seagates in there as well, if I do they are an older design maybe a 7200.12.... all my .11s died a awful death.

Which of the Hitachi drives do you recommend?