Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2013, 09:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Fastest way to connect an external drive?

Just like the title says... I'm wondering what the fastest connection is for any external HDD/Raid enclosure? Not so much theoretical, but real world. I'm currently using eSATA and wondering how that scales up...

Thanks.
Old April 29, 2013, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Doesn't much matter, the top speeds of lone mechanical hard drives don't scratch the surface of the available bandwidth with recent connectivity. Even USB 2.0 is slowed by the drive in a sustained transfer.

However eSata is a solid choice, it was designed for hard drives specifically. You're going to get great latency and a top speed that again, doesn't matter.
Old April 30, 2013, 04:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

a Esata dock note fastest transfer is Linux
Old April 30, 2013, 06:42 AM
Allstar

Sorry but that's completely false (unless I misunderstood what you were saying). Sustained transfers (7200rpm drive) on a USB 2 connection will get you about 20-30mb/s while USB 3 will net you 80-100bm/s on the same drive. Theoretically esata should be a bit faster but the drive will probably be the limiting factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
Doesn't much matter, the top speeds of lone mechanical hard drives don't scratch the surface of the available bandwidth with recent connectivity. Even USB 2.0 is slowed by the drive in a sustained transfer.

However eSata is a solid choice, it was designed for hard drives specifically. You're going to get great latency and a top speed that again, doesn't matter.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old April 30, 2013, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Sorry but that's completely false (unless I misunderstood what you were saying). Sustained transfers (7200rpm drive) on a USB 2 connection will get you about 20-30mb/s while USB 3 will net you 80-100bm/s on the same drive. Theoretically esata should be a bit faster but the drive will probably be the limiting factor.

You're right, my mistake. I should rephrase 'can' be slowed by the drive. You're entirely right that faster drives can saturate the full 480 Mb / 60 MB theoretical interface pretty easily, but not all of them can. I imagine denser 5400 RPM drives can probably max out the saturation on the faster part of the platter.

I think the top speed of the best mechanicals is about.. 150 MB/sec?

Regardless the point was that pretty much anything more recent then USB 2.0, there's not going to be much of a problem/difference on paper.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:15 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Here's a question. I have a 6TB WD MyBook Studio II setup in raid 1. I use it to store my archive of photos (I'm a photographer). Sometimes accessing the drive takes forever. As if it falls asleep due to inactivity. I think they are 2x 3TB WD green series drives. Is this normal? I want to fin a way to keep the drives awake at all times so that I never have to wait.