Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2013, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Storage Drives For Media - 2TB?

Hi all, long time no see

I've been doing quite fine with a couple of WD Caviar 500GB drives in my rig, but one of them is now crapping out on me after about 5 years and I'm looking to upgrade to something new and with a larger capacity. Also, in light of the crap-out and the loss of some photos, I'd like to look at perhaps doing a RAID1 setup of some sort (advisable?).

So anyway, I saw some of the WD 2TB Green drives at a very reasonable price at NCIX, but I've read some fairly scary stories about them. I'd be willing to throw down a few extra bucks in the name of reliability, so what are some suggestions?

I'm looking for a 2TB drive that can store photos, video and music and be relatively reliable. Is the RAID1 setup a good idea? 2TB will double my storage capacity, which is only at about 50% right now. My current rig has space for only two hard drives, so I'd likely have to ditch the other 500GB Caviar Black, which is still working fine.

Comments and ideas are most welcome!

Thanks.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would personally go with WD Red's in the largest capacity you can afford.

I run 4 of the 3TB models in my QNAP NAS and they've been humming along quite nicely.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:32 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Oh my, been a looong time since I've seen that username pop up...

I'd use a 2-3-4 Tb Red too (I have 8), but as a back-up I'd go for a USB3 External drive with a scheduled back-up app.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was looking at the Reds, actually. I think that's a good plan. I'll have to look at some externals, too. Thanks, guys!