Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2013, 05:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Help out a SSD noob (AMD system)

Hello.

I have decided to take the plunge into SSD. System is in sig (crosshair V, 8150, 8 gig 1333, 1tb wd black, 3x6950). All of the PCI slots are populated or blocked, so an addin card RAID controller or a velodrive is out of the question.

I mostly game and do mundane "work" such as excel and word while surfing.

I don't know if AMD does SSD caching, or if I can do a stable RAID array with the on-board controller. It lists two controllers:

1: ASUS (ATI (AMD)) SB700/800 SATA Controoller [AHCI mode], lists 6 channels with G3/SATA600 with the proper indexing for my dvd drive and my HDD.

2: ASUS Asmedia 106x SATA Controller, Which has two channels, and its maximum sata mode is G3/SATA600 aswell.

So as I see it, I have three options:

1: Run a raid 0 array. This is most appealing to me as it should allow 1,000 MB/s bandwidth with 2x intel 520. Please correct me if I am wrong, I haven't set up a RAID array since ultra ata/133 was out. I don't know if this is even the best option for my uses. I don't know if these controllers will be stable/fast, nor which controller to use.

2: Run ssd caching. I don't see anything about the crosshair V being able to cache, nor if this would even be a good idea for my use.

3: Run a single 240 gig drive. I need enough space to run windows and my games.

Also, how do I install windows to a new harddrive and import all my application settings and my desktop etc? I haven't ever been able to figure this out.

Thanks for your help.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Pick option 3. Get one Intel 520 240GB. You will NOT get TRIM on AMD rigs with RAID (so there goes option 1). SSD caching is a solution in search of a problem. Get a big enough SSD and USE it as an OS drive. (there goes option 2). Install the Intel SSD Toolbox, run an optimizer schedule for once per week...and never have to worry about TRIM on your single drive. BUT stick it on the AMD southbridge controller...not the ASMeida controller...AMD southbridge is less than optimal BUT its still better than the ASMedia controller!

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 21, 2013, 07:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks so much!

Can't get any better than a SSD recommend from AKG!