Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2013, 05:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default I'm now onboard the SSD ship! (bought one)

Greetings fellow shipmates! (Don't ask)

Today I decided to finally try out this whole SSD craze, so while at Staples (I was there for a really good reason, other wise I never enter that horrible place) they had a Samsung 840 250GB Series SSD for 150$ so, thanks to consumerism I bought it... of course this being my first SSD I didn't knew there would be a performance difference between IDE mode and AHCI mode... so after two hours of Windows 7 installation. I've installed Samsung Magician and I've looked at the improved speed... However my MOBO is SATA 2 only, so I've ordered a PCI-E card containing 2xSATA 3 ports. So I should see it's full power soon. Already I've seen a huge difference between this SSD and my WD Caviar Green drives (do not ask that either).

So far I'm liking it, need to get used to it though since SSD have such a small space. Transferred all of my Users into another Hard Drive and set the variables there so it won't cause much trouble. Have so many games but I have to choose which one goes to the SSD carefully and which goes to the hard drive.

So ya that's it for now. Anyone got any tips for me?
Old April 18, 2013, 05:56 PM

My System Specs

Shrink the page file down to 1-2GB if you can. Disable hibernation if you don't use it. That should save you considerable space. But that are pretty much the only things I do to my drives.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nah it's on a desktop PC so it doesn't have Hibernation by default :P As for the Page Files, why should I reduce it?
Old April 18, 2013, 07:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
so I've ordered a PCI-E card containing 2xSATA 3 ports.
May I ask which one? Chances are you would be better off using the Intel Sata 2 ports on your P7P55D PRO.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:34 PM
Allstar

Under an elevated command prompt type;

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

It reclaims the storage that would be lost even if you don't use hibernate. Maybe windows 8 disables this by default when it detects a SSD???

Other thing to consider is the 840 pro sees a boost in performance by over provisioning your storage. reduce the partition by 20% and leave it unused.

+ for reduced page file
Old April 18, 2013, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
Nah it's on a desktop PC so it doesn't have Hibernation by default :P As for the Page Files, why should I reduce it?
Because by default windows will take whatever it needs. Set it to a static size of about 2gb and leave it.
Old April 18, 2013, 09:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Because by default windows will take whatever it needs. Set it to a static size of about 2gb and leave it.
Basically what they are telling you is to save cycles on your cells to keep as much life as possible. Also, find time to leave your computer idling so you can let the SSD clean itself in the background (ITGC).

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com