Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2013, 02:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default The future of SATA on a PCIe?

According to SATA IO (the organization that makes SATA) It is almost impossible for a 4th Generation SATA to exist (12 Gb/s) because of the silicon limitations. So they're making a SATA Express interface, meaning it's going to take a PCIe port and use it as a storage solution. So really the future of Motherboards will not come with with the next generation of SATA ports, just hopefully there will be a SATA Express card with it. The SATA Express can go up to 16 Gb/s right now, and since PCIe technology can improve, so can SATA Express.

While this might be old news to some, I just figured this out after the supposed Intel 9-Series Chipset will support SATA Express with their Broadwell CPU.

Hopefully the pricing won't be to high.
Old April 17, 2013, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
According to SATA IO (the organization that makes SATA) It is almost impossible for a 4th Generation SATA to exist (12 Gb/s) because of the silicon limitations. So they're making a SATA Express interface, meaning it's going to take a PCIe port and use it as a storage solution. So really the future of Motherboards will not come with with the next generation of SATA ports, just hopefully there will be a SATA Express card with it. The SATA Express can go up to 16 Gb/s right now, and since PCIe technology can improve, so can SATA Express.

While this might be old news to some, I just figured this out after the supposed Intel 9-Series Chipset will support SATA Express with their Broadwell CPU.

Hopefully the pricing won't be to high.
They already exist. Its called a RevoDrive
Old April 17, 2013, 03:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yes and no the RevoDrive is a PCI-E SSD. The SATA-E is a card that features SATA ports, it'll still use cables to connect to storage devices. But it can also be (according to the diagram) be connected directly to the SATA-E without a cable.

SATA-E Connector Matrix
Old April 17, 2013, 08:16 PM

My System Specs

The RevoDrive is 2+ SATA controlled SSDs on a PCIe bridge. Each controller still has the limits of SATA 6Gbps.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:02 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Im actually very interested in the new SAS SSDs....that are 12GB/s SAS. Now THAT would be interesting to see make it to upper mainstream consumer and out of enterprise circles.

At some point yes, we will have to see a new beefy PCH come about or a daughter-card as SATA 6Gb/s is already a bottleneck and AMD/Intels controllers are not able to keep up with demands. Only time will tell on what tech becomes dominant. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 18, 2013, 12:15 AM
Top Prospect

Aren't a lot of our on-board devices on our motherboards just PCI/PCI-E components with direct connection the interface controller anyways? Moving SATA to PCI-E would just mean that future SATA ports would take a chunk out of the PCI-E controller's bandwidth. It would still be onboard
Old April 18, 2013, 07:56 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup. They get their own lanes. What SATA-E will do is basically split off another piece of the PCH and be a discrete controller chip, with the 'PCH 2.0' for things like usb and the other thangs. BUT if mfg'ers have to add another chip...I am kinda hoping they also opt for SAS 12GB/s. So instead of a XYZ chip for additonal SATA 6 ports and a chip for SATA-E...we get SAS and maybe SATA-E. Id honestly be happy with either but SAS 12GB/s is really showing some nice potential.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 18, 2013, 09:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yup. They get their own lanes. What SATA-E will do is basically split off another piece of the PCH and be a discrete controller chip, with the 'PCH 2.0' for things like usb and the other thangs. BUT if mfg'ers have to add another chip...I am kinda hoping they also opt for SAS 12GB/s. So instead of a XYZ chip for additonal SATA 6 ports and a chip for SATA-E...we get SAS and maybe SATA-E. Id honestly be happy with either but SAS 12GB/s is really showing some nice potential.
I'd rather have controllers simplified and streamlined instead of added or slaved on to other channels.
So my hope is too that SAS perhaps migrates itself into the desktop applications.

Time, will tell.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 18, 2013, 11:20 AM
Top Prospect

Well, if they do switch to SAS, cable manufacturers will make a nice sum selling SFF-8481's