Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Samsung SSD support in Canada (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/60608-samsung-ssd-support-canada.html)

artistpavel April 9, 2013 11:37 AM

Samsung SSD support in Canada

So my new Samsung 840 MZ-7TD120BW purchased from NCIX brick and mortar store died on me after a few months, I went to a Canadian Samsung support website to only find Optical Drives available from menu and when you try to search for SSD you get this message

"Canadian customers that have purchased Samsung SSD (Solid State Drives) outside Canada can access warranty and support information through Samsung Electronics America. Please visit

Samsung for more warranty and support information.

Please note: the link provided is applicable to all current Samsung SSD ."

Registering a product on US site is not possible because it's asking for a ZIP code. Has anyone here had their Samsung SSD replaced?

Bloodystumps April 9, 2013 04:50 PM

ROF Welcome to my world I bought 3 SSD's and tried to register them with Samsung the first two took me about 6 hours and the second time I phoned for the 3rd drive it took me about 2 hours..

First time I phoned I was instructed to phone Seagate as Samsung does not manufacture Hard drives (note they do make SSDs ) and the girl from Seagate was about as frustrated as I was and even after I requested to speak with a manager I was yelled at in french and told pretty much I was a idiot for trying to register a NON Samsung product with Samsung. I even went as far as Emailing them to inform them of the awful customer service reps and experience I had after buying their product..

I think I mentioned I was going to give the homeless guy down the street my Samsung TV , Phone and SSD's just cuz I was so pissed still got no were and I am glad to see they are still "working on their web site" That is why you can't register your SSD on the site:thumb::thumb: this was last year they told me this..

If I were you I would return it to NCIX and tell them they are not a authorized retailer for Samsung ( this is also what I was told )

they are good drives just stupid you can't register them...

artistpavel April 10, 2013 08:07 AM

This is comically wrong on so many levels, so I walked into a reputable store, had to decide between Crucial M4 and 840, after reading reviews on a phone, went with Samsung, and now I'm gonna be punished for choosing their product :haha:

SKYMTL April 10, 2013 08:33 AM

Welcome to the reason we patently refuse to review Samsung SSDs.

After numerous discussions with Samsung Canada, since they don't directly distribute their SSDs in Canada (all distribution is done through second and third party imports), they don't have a Canadian warranty attached. If you think that's bad, just try to RMA it through the US site and you'll not only be unable to register it but be prepared to pay two-way shipping and a ton of excess taxes, brokerage charges and duties at the border.

Mars April 10, 2013 09:18 AM

Well, if I have a warrantied product, I don't want to need to register it, I just want to punch in the serial number, get issued an RMA number, and mail it off.

But otherwise, this thread is making me regret my recent Samsung SSD purchase. :blarg:

Fleurious April 10, 2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 701812)
Welcome to the reason we patently refuse to review Samsung SSDs.

After numerous discussions with Samsung Canada, since they don't directly distribute their SSDs in Canada (all distribution is done through second and third party imports), they don't have a Canadian warranty attached. If you think that's bad, just try to RMA it through the US site and you'll not only be unable to register it but be prepared to pay two-way shipping and a ton of excess taxes, brokerage charges and duties at the border.

Wow, first time I've heard this :shok:. I guess no Samsung drives for me until they remedy this. Now I want to look up Crucial to see what their Canadian warranties are like.

SKYMTL April 10, 2013 11:02 AM

For those wondering, Samsung Canada takes care of warranties of any item shown on the .ca website. A good example of this was the Galaxy Player 5.0 16GB. While the 8GB was sold in Canada by Samsung, the 16GB wasn't but some Canadian retailers still had them for sale.

Any purchasers were SOL if the 16GB players died as the product number wasn't selectable on the Canadian site, nor were the Canadian CSRs able to process an RMA request for it. This was mentioned quite a few times on Android forums.

IRQ Conflict April 10, 2013 03:32 PM

Wow, indeed. I guess I'll have to boycott all Samsung products in the future. Pity.

JD April 10, 2013 06:11 PM

That is some noteworthy information! Definitely won't be buying any Samsung SSD's then, glad I skipped over the 840 Pro.

sswilson April 10, 2013 06:33 PM

Same here. I never would have even thought to check into Canadian warranty support for a top tier manufacturer like Samsung. Maybe NCIX (and all other Canadian e-tailers) should be putting up a disclaimer like they did when warranty support for DFI motherboards started to get a bit spotty. At the very least that would be an indication to potential purchasers that they might want to do some checking on warranty status.