Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2013, 05:31 AM
Trial Member

My System Specs

Just to update for anyone who comes across this thread, Samsung covers all costs associated with warranty returns. There is no need to register your drive on any Samsung websites. This link takes you to RMA instructions -- Samsungand applies to all of their SSD's purchased in Canada.

There is no jumping through hoops as suggested in earlier posts. Absolutely ZERO shipping/brokerage/customs fees and UPS even supplied the shipping envelope. I sent them 1 email on Sunday and received an RMA number and shipping labels Monday morning. Tracking numbers are provided for both directions and I will have my replacement in hand Thursday.
Old June 19, 2013, 04:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thank you for this info! This certainly changes things for people considering buying a samsung ssd in the near future.
Old June 19, 2013, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes it does! Thank-You. I was going to go Intel. But I might go with a Sammy now.
Old July 26, 2013, 08:14 PM
Trial Member

Default thanks for this thread!

in the market for a new ssd.. gen1/2 vertex is starting to fail and was hoping to get the 840 pro but the warranty issues are putting me in a holding pattern.. just got off live chat with samsung and it doesn't look good.. yes i know not all the chat folks know what they are talking about but it only takes one to screw it up.. plus if they are the front facing folks i wonder what the backend ops are like.. anyway.. looks like you have to contact seagate for samsung ssd support - i wouldn't want to be running around like a headless chicken when my ssd goes up in smoke..

• You are connecting with LiveChat system. If it takes a few minute, Please Try again.
• (A Live Chat agent will be with you soon.)
A Live Chat agent will be available soon. You are currently in position 2 Thank you for waiting. If your inquiry is for a purchased product, please have your product details, including serial number and date of purchase ready.
• Welcome to Samsung Live Chat. How can I help you?
• Archie :
Thank you for contacting Samsung Support. How may I help you?
• mike smith :
Hey Archie - i just typed all the info i am looking for in the optional box on the page before i got here.. can you look that up pls?
• Archie :
I understand that you want to know the warranty details of your SSD.
• mike smith :
correct - the information is scarce..
• mike smith :
and i've heard horror stories shipping to usa from canada and getting dinged duties on full retail value on the way back to canada
• Archie :
Thanks for confirming.
• mike smith :
that's not cool
• Archie :
I would like to inform you that the sale of the HDD division of Samsung Electronics to Seagate Technology has been completed.
• mike smith :
thx for the info but as an end user i dont really care.. if i buy a samsung ssd, i RMA it with samsung unless i am told otherwise..
• Archie :
In this regard you can contact Seagate Canada support team without any issues.
• mike smith :
on seagate's site there's no mention of the samsung ssds.. so again.. how do I RMA a samsung ssd? where do i send it?
• Archie :
I will provide you with the toll free number to contact them.
• mike smith :
that is utter nonsense
• Archie :
You can contact Seagate Canada Support team at: 1-800-732-4283
• Archie :
Business Hours: 8am - 11:30am CT 1pm - 6pm CT Monday – Friday
• mike smith :
passing the buck..
• Archie :
I apologize for the inconvenience.
• mike smith :
i don't need to call anyone - thanks for confirming.. blacklisting samsung ssds and letting the world know

seagate doesnt have a canadian address for RMAs that i can see and since i dont have a drive i cant even check a serial number etc..

i guess it's back to the drawing board.. crucial m4, m500, plextor m5, sandisk? anyway, good luck to all who have samsung ssds and need to do a warranty claim
Old July 28, 2013, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If separate have bought it and they gave you a toll free number to contact them on then I think they did all they could be expected to. If you want more info, call the number and find out.

your attitude really sucks, especially to someone who was helpful and polite. And after they gave you as much help as they can, you won't call a toll free number to find out what the story is. Whatever.

Pepole who are self entitled and high and mighty like you are why customer facing jobs are hated so much.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 28, 2013, 02:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
If separate have bought it and they gave you a toll free number to contact them on then I think they did all they could be expected to. If you want more info, call the number and find out.

your attitude really sucks, especially to someone who was helpful and polite. And after they gave you as much help as they can, you won't call a toll free number to find out what the story is. Whatever.

Pepole who are self entitled and high and mighty like you are why customer facing jobs are hated so much.
I'm with Dzzope on this one. You came across as a real jerk with an axe to grind on that one. It's not like the person typing into live chat dictates how Samsung/Seagate handle the transfer.
Old July 28, 2013, 07:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

LOL if you have spoken with Samsung about a SSD you would not being calling this guy a jerk.... And as I have already said Seagate has nothing to do with SSD's they DO NOT own, manufacturer, sell them.... they did in fact purchase Samsungs HDD division BUT NOT the SSD, None of the call center folks have a clue about that and really treat you poorly when you ask them to verify their facts...
Old July 31, 2013, 10:59 AM
Top Prospect

While I might agree that the attitude towards the Samsung staff was not the best - please note that the Samsung staff stonewalled. He spoke of the sale of the HDD division, even though the question was about an SSD.

Unless Samsung has sold their SSD division to Seagate as well? And told nobody?

The Samsung staff was an idiot. He should not be facing the public. He was polite, but he did not answer the question and tried to pass the buck in an inappropriate manner.

If it had been me, I would have become frustrated and likely become less than totally polite as well.
Old September 16, 2013, 08:17 PM
Trial Member

Default solution for registering canadian bought samaung ssd's

Same problem here. I emailed the president of Samsung Canada and he passed on this addy: support@totalts.com . I emaild and was sent a short email where I could fill out my details if I ever need an RMA. I am going to several wholesale sites to see if I can get them to put a disclaimer on Samsung ssd's. Perhaps then, Samsung Canada will add ssd to their storage option.
hope this helps. I just ran into this site so solutions may already be posted.

cheers
Old September 17, 2013, 04:52 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Total TS (or Total Tech Solutions) is actually a third party who processes the RMAs for them. They're based in New Jersey.....not Canada: TTS/HSN