Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2013, 07:28 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I bought an 840 pro and a regular 840 in the last few months and if they die I'll just send them over to Tom Dickson at Blendtec. I sure as hell won't boycott Samsung products because of something like this.
Old April 10, 2013, 08:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have seen some silly retail stuff before, but this one takes the cake. Glad I was so interested in the 5 year warranty and chose my pro over the Vector

Last edited by turtletrax; April 13, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

hmmmm, this is making me think twice about buying 4 of the 840 pro's to use as raid storage in my vmware servers. I'm already concerned about the pro's having a somewhat unknown reliability status using new technology and all, though they have the potential to last, it's still new and leaves me skeptical, if warranty will be troublesome in the event I need it, I'm not going that route since I want them for my servers where I want to avoid downtime
Old April 13, 2013, 04:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

wow glad I came across this thread. Im planning to see if its possible to replace my Kingston SSD for Samsung 840Pro through NCIX. Guess will look for something else if its possible.

eBay: kalsharabi - HeatWare: LegendMask - HWC: LegendMask
Old April 14, 2013, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And someone from RFD got RMA just to prove you guys wrong... Hrm...

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bestd.../#post16658255
Old April 14, 2013, 05:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post

wrong no he just got lucky with a support tech that actually cared and was diligent in his job

Fact is they do support SSDs it just difficult finding a person with the right knowledge...

fact 99.9 % of the phone reps think they sold the SSD's with the HDD division
Old April 15, 2013, 08:04 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post

See my response. Be prepared to jump through many hoops and pay more in shipping, insurance and brokerage than the drive is worth.
Old April 15, 2013, 08:29 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

To be fair that pretty much sums up ANY 120-128GB SSD....and most 240/256'ers.

Most 'bad' ssd's die well within the return to the store period. The others -that die within warranty - last a good while on average. BUT lets say that of those that die within warranty kick the bucket at the 18mth mark. That is a full generation - or more depending on timing - in the SSD world. A small entry level SSD can be had for under 1bill now...and will be faster than the 120's of mid to late 2011. The fact of the matter is SSD devalue at an alarming rate (as performance has been greatly increasing gen to gen while the cost of new drives is going down)...and the cost of shipping it back to the mfg -not to mention the 2+ weeks down time - make it impractical when looked at objectively.

Its really only when you hit the 240GB - and even then it depends on the drive - that the hassle factor becomes 'worth it'.

Sure for the rare time a 6mth old drive dies it will be a royal nuisance but Samsung does make good kit. They are one of the grandaddies of this market and those will be very rare.

As I have said many times in the past IF warranty is a major issue for you...go with a mfg'er with a proven track record that make and use their own kit. They are few and far between...but they do exist and it is why when asked my recommendations always include Intel and Crucial.

Its why I also like Samsung. They make reliable kit and have done so for many many years.

YMMV but this is not a doomsday large issue some are making it out to be. Take it into consideration before purchasing but dont auto-discount good kit just because of it! Weigh the pros and cons ....and make a rational decision based on YOUR needs and your level of comfort.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 15, 2013, 08:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
See my response. Be prepared to jump through many hoops and pay more in shipping, insurance and brokerage than the drive is worth.

Thanks for confirming Sky. Gonna see if I can get IPR through MemX retroactively. I wouldn't have bought the drive had I known. The drive is already a little overpriced, RMA and this thing is not worth it in a big way.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I wish I had known this when I purchase my Samsung 830s last year through NCIX. What a bummer!