Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   200+ gig SSD drives (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/60525-200-gig-ssd-drives.html)

clshades April 3, 2013 07:44 PM

200+ gig SSD drives

Top 3 out there right now? I have a friend doing a new build and I suggested not going raid 0 as it's really not necessary given the performance of todays drives. Give him a little more money to purchase a higher end SSD too I suppose.

Win 7 for the OS on the 2011 socket sabertooth board.

clshades April 4, 2013 03:17 PM

no love eh

nasrott April 4, 2013 05:49 PM

ocz, corsair, intel, any of these would do well not sure on why no raid 0 though given that your buddy is doing an intel system with trim support other than the cost as it is expensive. Then again 120 gig drive are cheaper now and total over 200+ gig and 1000mb/s speed's in raid 0 compared to a single 200+ doing 500mb/s speed.

clshades April 5, 2013 02:22 PM

It was my understanding that trim wasn't natively supported in raid 0 configs. He is also installing 64 gigs of ram so I imagine a ram drive will suffice if loading times on games is an issue. I honestly haven't invested enough time into reading about the latest news / reviews on SSD's which is why I posted.

nasrott April 5, 2013 02:58 PM

Some older Intel chipsets and some drives didn't support trim also amd chipsets no, but most newer stuff fully supports it. Z77 plus some earlier stuff in intell. Imagine the same holds true for the newer 2011 socket. ASFAIK.

clshades April 5, 2013 03:23 PM

cool thanks for the info nas!

nasrott April 5, 2013 03:26 PM

Double check though before buddy buys just to be safe. ie 2011's chip set.

AkG April 5, 2013 03:29 PM

Top 3...thats kinda difficult. Intel 520, Samsung 840 Pro...and toss up between Neutron GTX, Vector and bunch of others. :)

sswilson April 5, 2013 04:04 PM

Are those all "trim not required" drives?

AkG April 5, 2013 05:40 PM

I might be reading the OP's original question wrong...but I think he is asking for the top 3 'big' drives so his buddy does not go the RAID route. IMHO two consumer grade drives in RAID 0...is not worth it. Its really not until you hit 4 or more that it is 'worth it' IMHO.

Any of those 4 drives by themselves will kick major ass. Two in RAID...the increased load time from the overhead will negate some of the improvement...and honestly if a program takes 1.5 vs 2 seconds to load...will he even notice?

Tell your buddy to either go BIG or go home. Get one LARGE SSD. If he thinks that its not fast enough...rofl. Ask him where the speed is lacking. Most likely it will be game load times. Tell him to make a RAMDRIVE out of some of that 64GB of RAM...OR go full hog and get a PCI-E SSD as his 'd' drive / game drive. IMHO the sickest combo is a single large SSD for the C drive....and a PCIE for games. It is what I do. ;)

IF he is deadset on RAID 0....Sammy 840 PRO, Plextor M3 PRo or M5 Pro, Crucial M4...or the epeen bragging right option: Intel DC S3700 800GB. The Intel has insane amount of OP (200GB) and even when dirty is a beast. TWO of those nutters is...well insane. Trust me on this...as this is what I use as my 'App' drive (with an Intel 910 800GB PCIE SSD for the 'd' game drive).