Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

View Poll Results: Server Storage. Western Digital Reds or Greens?
Western Digital Red 3TB SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD 16 100.00%
Western Digital WD Caviar Green 3TB SATA3 3.5in 64MB Cache Intellipower Internal Hard Disk Drive 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2013, 11:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Harddrives for Server

Hello HWC,

I am looking to upgrade the storage in my File/Vent/Plex/XMBC server. Currently it's just drives i had laying around (less than 1TB). I want to upgrade to 12tb. I am looking at 4 3TB drives. My question to you is Red or Green? I am going more toward Reds but i would like to see what everybody has to say.

Cheers!
Tech
Old March 27, 2013, 11:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'd go with red, green doesn't actually save too much power and has to spin up every time you go to use it.
Old March 27, 2013, 12:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
I'd go with red, green doesn't actually save too much power and has to spin up every time you go to use it.
I was just reading about the spin up. That would decrease the life of the drive would it not?
Old March 27, 2013, 12:06 PM
Allstar

Greens will kick out of a RAID array as well. If you are running RAID your only real choice between the two is the RED.
Old March 27, 2013, 12:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
Greens will kick out of a RAID array as well. If you are running RAID your only real choice between the two is the RED.
I was considering RAID. The only problem is i want 12TB of usable space.
Old March 27, 2013, 12:20 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech686239 View Post
I was considering RAID. The only problem is i want 12TB of usable space.
12TB of space with 0 redundancy? backup? Play the lottery often?
Old March 27, 2013, 12:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
12TB of space with 0 redundancy? backup? Play the lottery often?
Ok, you make a very good point. I am just a storage whore. I'm thinking about going 12TB with RAID 5 now. Would that give me 9TB of usable space?

Last edited by Tech686239; March 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old March 27, 2013, 03:20 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

How serious are you planning on getting with your storage server? RED's are meant for smaller RAID Arrays (IIRC under 5 drives), over that RE....but I really...really like the new Seagate Connie ES.3 series over the RE line from WD. Those drives are beasts! Drop 4 (or 5 with 5th online hot spare) of the big un SAS versions and you would have one kick ass file server.

IMHO Black (greens should NEVER be used in RAID) < RED < RE < ES.3
Pick your budget and go from there. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 27, 2013, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
How serious are you planning on getting with your storage server? RED's are meant for smaller RAID Arrays (IIRC under 5 drives), over that RE....but I really...really like the new Seagate Connie ES.3 series over the RE line from WD. Those drives are beasts! Drop 4 (or 5 with 5th online hot spare) of the big un SAS versions and you would have one kick ass file server.

IMHO Black (greens should NEVER be used in RAID) < RED < RE < ES.3
Pick your budget and go from there. :)
Is there a case to made for the Greens? What would you use them for? Back-up storage on a shelf?

I currently use them in my HTPC as media storage. They see use everyday. Am I playing with fire here, risking data loss? Should I be looking at replacing them with REDS?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 27, 2013, 03:52 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Greens are single drive use only. Decent for a Data drive...but once you stick them in RAID they are all kinds of fail. I use Greens for my F-J drives in one of my rigs. They dont fail any faster than any other hdd. But I let my go to sleep after 10min of inactivity...soo IF you are using it and then not...and then using it...it can be hard on the arms as they dock after 8seconds of inactivity. Its why they also suck as OS drives.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr