Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2013, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default TRIM Support with RAID 0 SSD's

So, I recently bought a 2nd SSD for my rig, so I now have 2x 128GB Crucial M4's in RAID 0. I did a fresh windows install after doing this.

The motherboard I'm using is an MSI Z77-G45A. I set up the RAID config through the motherboard (set SATA ports to RAID, then use the onboard RAID configuation tool before the BIOS splash screen to set it up).

Now, I was chatting with the IT guy here at work real quick, and he mentioned that TRIM may not be enabled with my current RAID setup.

So, my question is, how can I find out is TRIM is currently enabled, and if it is not, is there a procedure to enable it? The IT guy mentioned something about downloading a new BIOS, unpacking it, then packing it with a new ROM, then flashing it to my motherboard.

Does anybody know anything about this? Looking at you, AKG...or anybody else who is knowledgeable...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 25, 2013, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unfortunately I don't know all the details, but it's my understanding that TRIM was enabled for RAID 0 with the Z68 chipset and all subsequent intel chipsets. I found a quick article on testing TRIM with your setup using HD Tach. Although it seems like a massive PITA to me to test. I still don't know why they can't have a simple notice in Device Manager that tells you if TRIM is enabled...

*EDIT* - I know you can use the fsutil command to check. But I don't know that this translates to RAID.
Old March 25, 2013, 04:41 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

To get TRIM in RAID you need to use intel RST drivers. Other than that it SHOULD work as you are running a Z77. You are using Crucials w/ good ITGC so its not a huge massive deal like it is for SF2281 drives.

BUT if you want to check use:
Index of /trimcheck

Its a cmd line program

Copy it to the SSD. run it from the cmd line. wait 30sec to 1minute. run again.

Little blurb on it:
" When executed for the first time it will write on specific locations on the SSD. It will then delete the written data and exit. When you run it a second time a minute later, it will try to read the exact same locations. When TRIM works you'll get zeroes on the sectors it wrote, plus a notification that TRIM works. If the data is still there you'll be notified that TRIM is not working. If you get a negative result and fsutil tells you that TRIMis enabled anway, try to wait 10 min or before running it for a third time."

:)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 25, 2013, 05:02 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
To get TRIM in RAID you need to use intel RST drivers. Other than that it SHOULD work as you are running a Z77. You are using Crucials w/ good ITGC so its not a huge massive deal like it is for SF2281 drives.

BUT if you want to check use:
Index of /trimcheck

Its a cmd line program

Copy it to the SSD. run it from the cmd line. wait 30sec to 1minute. run again.

Little blurb on it:
" When executed for the first time it will write on specific locations on the SSD. It will then delete the written data and exit. When you run it a second time a minute later, it will try to read the exact same locations. When TRIM works you'll get zeroes on the sectors it wrote, plus a notification that TRIM works. If the data is still there you'll be notified that TRIM is not working. If you get a negative result and fsutil tells you that TRIMis enabled anway, try to wait 10 min or before running it for a third time."

:)
I'd + rep you if such a thing existed. That is super nifty.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I realized I hadn't installed RST after my last windows install, so I'm glad you reminded me to do that.

And WOW, that TRIM check was a quick and fantastic little program. TRIM is enabled and working!

Thank you all so much for the information. HWC pulls through again!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 26, 2013, 06:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Also note that some z77 boards don't have up to date Intel data firmware in the stock bios from the manufacturer but if you search you can find modded BIOSes that incorperate all the right stuff.
Old March 26, 2013, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Unfortunately I don't know all the details, but it's my understanding that TRIM was enabled for RAID 0 with the Z68 chipset and all subsequent intel chipsets.
It's not setup for Z68 but you can make it happen using a little hack to update your oprom.
Old March 26, 2013, 09:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

...and if AKG's posted program fails?

My RAID0 says it's not working, but my single other SSD says it's fine. Crap.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old March 27, 2013, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
...and if AKG's posted program fails?

My RAID0 says it's not working, but my single other SSD says it's fine. Crap.
Update BIOS, install RST drivers?

Old March 27, 2013, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

BIOS came fully updated, RST is newest straight from Intel. The only thing I can really think of is maybe to try the (older) RST drivers from Asus' site?
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...