Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2013, 01:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Enabling AHCI after Installing Win 7

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but visit this site often just wondering if anyone else had this install problem.
I just applied another tweak which I found to speed up the overall performance of my PC. During my install of Windows 7 on my Gigabyte board I could not get the Hard drive to boot or load the Win 7 install in AHCI mode so I just settled for running my system in Legacy "IDE" mode.

After some time I was still bothered by the fact that my new motherboard had the AHCI feature but I could not get it to work. So I researched several websites including the Microsoft web site where I finally found the fix for my dilemmna here's the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
(note the registry tweak calls for changing the setting to "0" but you also have to select the decimal option as well not hexadecimal.)

This solution is for non-Intel chipsets, Intel has their own drivers in the form of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers

There is a registry fix for this problem but you have to change the registry MSahci setting first before you change the AHCI mode in your BIOS otherwise windows will not know to load the AHCI drivers which enable the more advanced disk control features of the SATA 3 specification mainly the NCQ feature and Trim for Windows 7 users that have SSD's.

Once this registry fix was completed my system realized a noticable performance boost really happy I figured this one out, now really enjoying the benifits of the SATA 3 technology which makes my PC run much quicker now.

Tomahawk out

Windows 7 64 bit
AMD FX 8350 8 core CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 AM3+ Motherboard
(On board Cirrus Logic sound chip/W Dolby Digital)
16 gigs of Kingston Hyper X Ram@ 1366
750 Gb Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive /W 8Gb hi speed internal nand flash
XFX AMD Radeon HD 6950 2 Gb vram
Corsair GS700W PSU

Last edited by tomahawk 1705; March 19, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:48 PM
MVP

Did the same on my HTPC a few days back. Thought I had already done it when I built it but I guess I was wrong. It does make quite the difference with an SSD thats for sure.
Old March 20, 2013, 04:30 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

wow thats really helpful. Thanks a lot!
Old March 23, 2013, 12:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

for HDDs there is no noticeable boost in performance using AHCI mode, the boost is for SSDs only. At least that is my experience.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It still helps with HDs. Explaination here: Why do i need AHCI with a SSD Drive (Guide Here!) ... - Crucial Community