Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2013, 11:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Any chance for recovery?!?!

Hi guyz! Hope you all are fine there.

Couple of days ago I accidentally dropped my laptop and when I checked "boot media is missing" error was there. I opened my HDD and let it checked by PC repair shop. They said PC is unable to detect HDD so is completely destroyed. But dropping wasnt so rough or with power it was just from about 2-3 feet.

It there any way of recovering data or is there any possible chance of damage just of circuit of SATA socket or something but n0ot complete HDD?

Its WD Scorpion Blue 5400r.p.m
Old March 12, 2013, 11:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Was it running when you dropped it?
If so...its dead.
HDD's have a limited G-Rating they can handle before the die...and one running and falling usually makes the heads touch the platters and kill the drive.

Sorry mate, time for a new drive.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 12, 2013, 01:26 PM
Allstar

If it was just errors there might be something to recover but if the drive can't be detected at all it's history.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yea, it was running before and you both are right...I tried everything, its DEAD!!!

Btw, thnx for ur precious time!!
Old March 21, 2013, 08:27 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
If it was just errors there might be something to recover but if the drive can't be detected at all it's history.
^This. If the drive is detected by your computer and you have valuable info that you need off of it there is still hope. (No I'm not a sale rep haha)

Try SpinRite. I've witnessed instances were that software can work miracles.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I recently had a drive that wasn't being detected and I tried everything to recover data (including bringing it to a friend who deals with things like that fairly regularly), with no luck. I ended up ripping it apart after I had no options left and for mine the platter was spinning (at what seemed like a reduced speed), but the arm that reads the disk wasn't moving. So if there was something extremely important I am sure someone somewhere could have recovered data from the disk (for $$$$ I am sure), but for me it was time to ditch the drive and get a new one (didn't have anything that important on it).

Hope your important files were backed up. Go for an SSD as the replacement (unless you need substantial storage on it).
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old March 25, 2013, 12:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
I recently had a drive that wasn't being detected and I tried everything to recover data (including bringing it to a friend who deals with things like that fairly regularly), with no luck. I ended up ripping it apart after I had no options left and for mine the platter was spinning (at what seemed like a reduced speed), but the arm that reads the disk wasn't moving. So if there was something extremely important I am sure someone somewhere could have recovered data from the disk (for $$$$ I am sure), but for me it was time to ditch the drive and get a new one (didn't have anything that important on it).

Hope your important files were backed up. Go for an SSD as the replacement (unless you need substantial storage on it).

Unfortunately, nothing was backed-up :(

But next time I'll be careful!!

Thnx