Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2013, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default RAID 0 SSD without reformat?

Basically as the title states, I'm looking to see if there are any tools that will allow me to transfer from a single SSD (Samsung 840 250GB) as my primary, to two of these in RAID 0. I'm not sure how imaging/backup software is when migrating from non-RAID to RAID environments.

As an FYI, I'm running a Z77 mPower MB.
Old March 11, 2013, 01:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

try this

run command prompt as an admin
xcopy (source):\ (destination):\ /c/h/e/r/y
Old March 11, 2013, 01:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Shake_ View Post
try this

run command prompt as an admin
xcopy (source):\ (destination):\ /c/h/e/r/y
You've misunderstood. I'm not looking to copy data from one existing drive to an existing RAID. I'm looking to convert a primary disk from a single disk instance to a RAID 0 instance without having to wipe and reinstall. (Although I'm quickly deciding this may be the fastest course of action)
Old March 11, 2013, 01:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think you'll need an intermediate drive to put it on. You've got 1 drive, trying to add another and change to Raid 0? Clone it to a HDD, setup your array, and clone it back.
Old March 11, 2013, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I think you'll need an intermediate drive to put it on. You've got 1 drive, trying to add another and change to Raid 0? Clone it to a HDD, setup your array, and clone it back.
And this shouldn't give me any issues moving a non-raid image on to a RAID setup? I know that I ran in to problems doing this once with Acronis at work and didn't have time to puzzle out why it was a problem.

*EDIT* My assumption is that there's an issue moving non-RAID images to RAID setups because the image itself will be of a Windows install that doesn't have a RAID utility/driver established on it, effectively removing RAID when you copy it over.
Old March 11, 2013, 01:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've never tried it myself, but I'd make sure your RAID drivers are installed before you start. Worst comes to worst, your USER and PROGRAMDATA directories are all backed up on the intermediate drive.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:19 PM

My System Specs

You are going to need to edit the registry if you currently have SATA set to AHCI.
How to: Change SATA Modes After Windows 7 Installation
Old March 11, 2013, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd do what SugarJ says, copy to a HD, then back onto your newly created RAID.

However you're not going to be able to add a drive and convert on the fly to RAID, at least I've never heard of it.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You are going to need to edit the registry if you currently have SATA set to AHCI.
How to: Change SATA Modes After Windows 7 Installation

Follow that guide and then do your image or clone. Then once you have the brand new raid set up clone/image it back and you will be able to get into the OS. Just remember you have to make those reg changes or else it can be much more work getting back into the OS.

I have an image at work that I have done those changes to the reg, so whether I am putting it on a Raid or AHCI system it will work.

Old March 12, 2013, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It sounds like, all said and done, it'll be easier to just save my key data, then wipe and reinstall. It's not that big a deal, but I was hoping to save myself the hassle.