Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Best 2TB Hard drives for server? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/59865-best-2tb-hard-drives-server.html)

Jumpshooter43 February 24, 2013 06:17 PM

Best 2TB Hard drives for server?

I have been looking on NCIX, newegg, etc...

I am leaning towards Western Digital Greens but not sure

Thanks for your advice

BlueByte February 24, 2013 06:43 PM

I wouldn't, personally the greens have given me nothing but head aches just as drives, I think I have 100% failure rate on them... got burnt on a 2 RMAs but that's another story. But if you are considering RAID stay away from greens period. The REDs are a good NAS, server drive. I have also had good luck with the Hitachi 7200rpm drives that WD own now as well.

redhammer956 February 24, 2013 07:41 PM

the Older Greens where they were still 64mb/32mb cache and 7200 have a good rate of non failure rate for me cant say the same of the newer 5400-5900 rpm green drives tho

JD February 24, 2013 07:42 PM

I would say to go with WD Red over Green assuming RAID usage and 24/7 access.

If its just single-drive storage for media, the Greens should be alright.

Jumpshooter43 February 24, 2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 692657)
I would say to go with WD Red over Green assuming RAID usage and 24/7 access.

If its just single-drive storage for media, the Greens should be alright.

It is a 24-7 access and raid usage

Perineum February 24, 2013 09:24 PM

then find out what your RAID card manufacturer certifies as drives for their RAID setup.

JD February 25, 2013 05:42 AM

WD Red or Seagate Constellation CS would be your 2 best choices I'd say. The Seagate runs at 7200rpm so it's technically the faster drive since the WD Red uses "Intellipower" similar to that of the WD Green.

They're both classified as "value enterprise" drives I'd say and both have 3yr warranties.

I personally have 4x 3TB WD Red's in my QNAP TS-469L NAS and they've been running perfectly fine without so much as a hiccup.

great_big_abyss February 25, 2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 692689)
WD Red or Seagate Constellation CS would be your 2 best choices I'd say. The Seagate runs at 7200rpm so it's technically the faster drive since the WD Red uses "Intellipower" similar to that of the WD Green.

They're both classified as "value enterprise" drives I'd say and both have 3yr warranties.

I personally have 4x 3TB WD Red's in my QNAP TS-469L NAS and they've been running perfectly fine without so much as a hiccup.

And here I thought I was ballin' with my 5TB of storage... :shok:

Jumpshooter43 February 25, 2013 07:07 AM

i am starting to lean towards red's but am looking into the seagates that were mentioned..

Perineum February 25, 2013 09:28 AM

I have eight 2TB drives in a RAID6, Once a week the drives seem to get into a stuttering match where the drives can't do any more than a meg/sec transfer rates. Highly annoying. A full shut down and restart fixes it, however.

I'll start swapping them out when I can for the 3TB Reds after some research I think.