Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2013, 08:04 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD Review Comment Thread

The value-oriented SSD market is currently filled with similar drives but Kingston's new SSDNow V300 dares to be a bit different. It may use the same SF2281 as many of its competitors but it runs a custom firmware and ONFI NAND which allows for excellent performance despite its relatively low price.

Read more here: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD Review
Old February 7, 2013, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Great reveiw AkG.

Quote:
In a perfect world everyone investing in a new solid state drive would have access to a SATA 6GB/s controller which could pass on the TRIM command. In reality not everyone has this and for many the decision comes down either giving up TRIM – never a good idea with most controllers – and running it off a secondary controller; or taking a performance hit and running in SATA 2.0 mode.
Could ypu clarify this for me. TRIM is not necessary when running off the SATA2 port?
Old February 7, 2013, 09:38 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

When it comes to LSI SF2281 controller based drives it is always safest to assume that TRIM is required. There are exceptions - ala Intel - that have software solutions to get around lack of OS Trim...but if you are running a drive like the SSDNow V300 and do not have TRIM...you are in for a less than optimal long term experience. If comes down to SATA 2 + TRIM or SATA 3 + no trim...take the hit and use SATA 2. TRIM is a big deal for these SandForce controllers (even if they do not implement the command in anything remotely like real time...unless they 'want' to).

This to be honest is the only disappointment I have with this drive: no 'toolbox' program. Kingston have custom firmware it would have been childs play to implement something as basic as this. Instead they did not. I hope they see the error of their way and do something about it ASAP. Even a 'wiper.exe' program would push this drive up above most SF2281 drives.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 7, 2013, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

OK, so if I do try out an SSD on my aging X48/Vista PC Intel and it's software would be the best option for me? Would an add on card that supports SATA 3 be cost effective? Or are they really expensive?
Old February 7, 2013, 10:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Most add on cards wont pass TRIM. So an Intel or Samsung (except 840 std model...which I would not recommend for other reasons) would be best, both offer software options. Other good options are the Crucial M4, Plextor series of drives and anything that uses Marvell controllers as they have good ITGC. Not as easy as software solutions but very good. Samsung 840 Pro is best of both worlds. Good controller and good software.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 8, 2013, 04:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks AkG. I really appreciate your advice!
Old February 8, 2013, 05:32 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Any chance or a Samsung 840/840 pro review soon?
Old February 8, 2013, 06:06 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

No.

/5char
Old February 8, 2013, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
No.

/5char
off topic

hehe I had to look up what /5char meant
now that the SSD are coming down in price it seems like a half decent time to buy I have an Older v series SSD now that I have been using for my folder box it is the only SSD I have had that hasn't quit on me mind you I have only used the vseries 64GB and an intel 510 which I had to RMA because it decided to quit on me.
which reminds of of some endurance testing that xtremesystems.org have been doing
Old February 10, 2013, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wow. Those Samsung pro's are expensive. Over a dollar per GB. The 512GB model? fogetaboutit.