Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2013, 08:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Seagate 7200.14 Chirping

So my drive is chirping... and it basically has since i got the damn thing.
Seagate ST2000DM001 noise - YouTube
It sounds like that. And when im playing sc2, it pauses when it chirps, then resumes.. Now since i run SC2 off the HDD, it shouldnt be at idle, so theres no reason to do the chirpy thing...

I am running SeaTools right now to try and fix the darn thing.

A lil background on this.... This is my.... fourth HDD ive had a problem with, in the past 2 years. I have a WD which hasnt failed once in those 2 years, but thats not the point, im not a WD> Seagate person, i just want my shit to work lol.

I started with a 7200.12 device.... which failed 3 times (thats right, I RMA'd it 3 times, receiving refurbs each time) until I called them and asked to downgrade to a momentus XT, thinking it would be more reliable. They told me they dont do downgrades, and "upgraded" me to a 2TB 7200.14... I thought i would avoid the problems, going for their almost top of the line drive, but i guess not.

Point being, this is driving me nuts. I have school work to do, and replacing the HDD every 2-6 months is getting to be a PITA. Thankfully it isnt my main drive, but its got 1TB of stuff on it that I would rather not lose.

If the drive passes SeaTools, is this noise normal? If it fails i know to Rma it... but dang this drives me nuts!!

Has anyone else had problems with a 7200.14?

Sold Items:
Steelseries Siberia V2 to MAK
Zalman Fan Controller, OCZ Mem Fan Funguseater

Lots of bad things happen in life all the time. You can't control them, so just be happy!
Old February 2, 2013, 09:04 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What is your PSU? Seagates complain when there is a moderate amount of ripple. Try it on a dif rig with dif PSU. See if that quiets it down. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 2, 2013, 09:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

im using an HX750... i dont think it has a lot of ripple. Could be wrong though

Edit, yeah im wrong, According to a few reviews the HX750 TANKS on 5v ripple... **** sakes. I dont have the money for a better psu thats not going to kill my hdds...... fnjroeilbvilterbnuvjlrebnjkul;te.

Lol, whatta drag. Is there anyway around this other than buying a new psu? I doubt corsair would accept it as an rma

Sold Items:

Lots of bad things happen in life all the time. You can't control them, so just be happy!

Last edited by Trocko; February 2, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

OK, first just let me say that this COULD be the issue...not that it IS the issue. Its just been my experience that they get bitchy loud when there is ripple. Other things could be doing it...but if your rig has eaten drives in the past...yeah it would be the first thing I would be looking at.

Secondly, my HX psu's were rock steady...so no idea if its the cause or not. BUT I never used a 750 model...just the bigger versions. I assume you have the PSU attached to a good UPS? Many psu's when fed a steady supply of 120v dont output as much ripple as when they are on dirty power (not an expert on this just my experience...YMMV).

No idea wrt to RMA and Corsair. drop Terran a pm and see what he says. He IS our new rep for Corsair...might as well make use of such a valuable resource! But I doubt it. Would be hard to prove that it is ripple without an o-scope. Honestly, if they dont...pull the drive stick it in a buddies rig. See if the noise goes away. If it does...yeah its most likely the PSU. Start saving up and replace it as soon as you can....as if you ever go SSD route...ripple kills SSD a hell of a lot faster than a HDD! ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 2, 2013, 10:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My ST3000DM001's do make some odd noises from time to time too. Can't tell if its the same as that link, but it definitely doesn't run silently all the time. I have a Corsair AX850.

Mine came with firmware CC24 which is not applicable for any updates.

For now I've just shrugged it off. One drive was "free" with my QNAP NAS and I bought a second to run in RAID1. It's just nearline storage for my desktop, I back it up to my NAS on a weekly basis anyhow.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trocko View Post
im using an HX750... i dont think it has a lot of ripple. Could be wrong though

Edit, yeah im wrong, According to a few reviews the HX750 TANKS on 5v ripple... **** sakes. I dont have the money for a better psu thats not going to kill my hdds...... fnjroeilbvilterbnuvjlrebnjkul;te.

Lol, whatta drag. Is there anyway around this other than buying a new psu? I doubt corsair would accept it as an rma
All respectable HX750 tests have shown that it is well within spec on ripple. Not to say that it can be defective and decide to start killing things (ask AkG, 3 dead ssd's because of one bad PSU). I would, if possible either take the drive out and see if it still makes the sound, or try the PSU in another rig. See where the problem follows.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 3, 2013, 06:25 AM

My System Specs

All three of my 3TB Barracudas have been doing this for the past year and a half since I bought them. Doesn't matter what computer or power supply they are connected too. I just learned to live with the noise.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If thats really all the sound you hear be glad you don't have a WD black.. :P
Old February 3, 2013, 07:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for all the responses lol. Ive been running an SSD on this PSU for... 5 months so far, without issue. But the drive also failed sea tools last night. Right near the end, something was outside the boundary or w/e. Maybe its just the drive. Ive got the PSU hooked into a power bar. maybe thats the isssue, and I should have it right in the wall.

My drive has CC82 firmaware on it.

That being said, after failing sea tools, It has made the chirp so far this morning (The 15 mins ive been awake) so who knows...

I have heard that disabling APM stops the noise. I might try that too. But still, the damn thign failed Sea Tools, so maybe I should RMA it anywya... Seagate has been good to me over the past 2 years, even though the disk keeps dying. It just chirped. LOL

I should also mention, i was running the 4 previous HDD's on a GS700 by corsair, Wehn i got this 7200.14, i switched to the hx 750. Who knows!

Sold Items:

Old February 3, 2013, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trocko View Post
...failed Sea Tools, so maybe I should RMA it...
That's what I would do. If a HDD fails its own self test, noise will be the last of your concerns with it
Every drive I had that failed the self test (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi...) was a brick the next time I booted with it.