Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2013, 02:36 AM
Rookie

Default Buying SSD in Toronto

A friend of mine is flying to Toronto next week, and he will buy two SSDs for him and me. Size is 240 to 256Gb. From several forums, the choice seems to be between Samsung 840 Pro, Crucial M4 and Plextor M5. So first of all I would like to have some opinions here too, recommending anyone. Second I would need to know what are the "physical stores" in Toronto to shop at, as web stores won't accept non-canandian credit cards, or if using Paypal, not to send to unregistered addresses. What I mean is something like Frys in the US. Best Buy seems to have some Corsairs, but a Samsung 840 Pro might be interesting too.
Old February 1, 2013, 04:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Welcome to Toronto!

Canadacomputers is one of the bigger stores in Toronto with many locations, including downtown near University of Toronto. There are also NCIX locations but they are located in suburb locations in the Greater Toronto Area.

A good small store is Filtech Computer at the outer edge of Chinatown. They look like a hole in the wall next to an alley, but they carry good current products, and the owner is very nice.

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...onthelam7&iid=
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=44147
Old February 1, 2013, 05:08 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Lam View Post
Canadacomputers is one of the bigger stores in Toronto with many locations, including downtown near University of Toronto. There are also NCIX locations but they are located in suburb locations in the Greater Toronto Area.

A good small store is Filtech Computer at the outer edge of Chinatown. They look like a hole in the wall next to an alley, but they carry good current products, and the owner is very nice.
Thanks a lot!

Canada computers stocks the Samsung 840 Pro, and it's a good option.

But Filtech stocks the Samsung 830 256Gb, which had been my first option, both in price and also because it's highly recommended by Newegg users.

Do you have any comments against or for any of those models?
Old February 1, 2013, 01:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Honestly the Samsung SSDs are considered the ones, who use the least amount of power for it to work and also one of the fastest SSDs for consumers. So if you find one, buy it now.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:27 PM
Allstar

Samsungs are good as well as the Intel drives if you are looking for speed and reliability. I believe the fastest drive at the moment is the Corsair Neutron GTX although that is using a brand new controller so longevity is unknown.

If AKG pipes in listen to whatever he says over anything from Newegg.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 1, 2013, 06:54 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Based on your choices - all Marvell 'Van Gogh' based - it looks like you are planning on using them in non-TRIM environments. If so...the Samsung 840 Pro (avoid the std 840 it uses TLC NAND...and thats not a good thing IMHO) would be my first choice. Second choice would be Intel 520 (third is M4). Both have software options which allow for scheduled cleaning...so 'trim' becomes a non-issue. Both Sammy and Intel have first class CS and good warranties. Both are very fast. Cant go wrong with either for diverse environments. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 1, 2013, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you can find em, standard Samsung 830 is also very popular as well it seems.

Also take a look at NCIX. They're just like Canada Computers.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The 3 big stores in the T.O area is TigerDirect CanadaComputers and NCIX and if your friend is in the north end of Toronto there is a lot of small shops well the small shops are every were but Markham has probably the most