Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2013, 03:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Exclamation Total data loss on Transcend720 SSD

Strange and horrible things happen sometimes. No big deal, but 2 days ago, after a completely normal and flawless use, I shut down my computer, everything okay. The next morning, I got a "disk read error press ctrl + alt + delete to restart" message, so I booted windows recovery disk to run a chkdsk. After a few seconds, chkdsk was done (something about a corrupt filesystem). I rebooted and got a "BOOTMGR is missing" message.

I booted the recovery disk once more, and discovered that the drive was completely empty. Everything was gone. Fortunatly I am back and running again, but I am seriously concerned for the drive. Is there a way to check it for degratation? (even though the drive a few months old?). The drive is running good for now, I am too lazy to RMA it. It will take me weeks, and I dont have another usable disk drive, and I REALLY don't want this to happen again.