Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2013, 11:03 PM
Rookie

Cool SSD for AMD system

Hi, I am considering installing a SSD to go with my 990FX-UD3 FX8350 5.5G system. I was looking at some reviews from some customers and I saw one where a customer bought a Corsair Neutron SSD and it didn't perform like he thought it should . I guess corsair or maybe it was Mushkin , but anyway they told him it would work a lot better with an Intel system . If that is true could someone suggest a 256G SSD that would be compatable with an AMD system like mine?
Another newbie question is my other idea is .... to put windows 8 on the SSD and have it as another chioce for awhile because I am not sure about windows 8 so it would be great to plug in the SSD for awhile and when I want plug the mechanical with windows 7 in when I want to game and feel at home with my computer. So I don't see where that would screw things up do you ? I mean the board and CPU just read whatever is given it on whtever drive , correct?

Thanks for listening , PCMike
Old January 12, 2013, 11:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You could hot swap the drives like you suggest to be able to use Win7 and Win8

I'm not completely sure about your SSD question as I'm unfamiliar with current AMD chipsets but I think the Crucial M4 would be your safest bet since it does it's own garbage collection. Without TRIM the SSD will run like garbage soon.

AKG will chime in soon I'm sure.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The M4 used to be stuck after 2500 hours, i don't know how it is now but a few bugs were reported.I would take a Corsair force GT. or neutron. Or intel

But also, i don't know anything about AMD chips... but i can talk about SSD quality.

We almost never have intel SSD returns,and it's also rare for corsair.Avoid OCZ.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:27 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

990's are usually well behaved when it comes to TRIM. The drivers still mess up from time to time...but its not the issue it was with the 8 series (I was 0 for 8 on 890 mobos that I tested for TRIM). Still not as good as Intel...but getting closer every year :)

If you want to be 100% sure....get either
1) Intel 520
2) Sammy Pro 840 (avoid the std 840 it uses TLC nand.)
3) Crucial m4 (M4 had a timer firmware bug which was corrected so its a non-issue now.)
4) sammy 830 (or various plextor branded SSDs)

First two have a software program that can be setup to run 1 per X days (I set it 1 per week...even in TRIM envrios just to be 'sure') and it runs a 'manual' TRIM that issues a cleaning command even if the rig can not accept TRIM the std way (ie it even works on XP rigs and rigs that dont want to pass on TRIM). Plug and play simple. The number 3 relies solely on ITGC/BBGC and is still a good option (I ran a M4 for a loooong time on my last gen AMD rig). BUT you need to let the rig idle from time to time. 830 is EOL so its harder to find...but uses the same custom software as the 840. First two are more $$$ than the last two (though some of the new plextors are the same as the 840 pro and $$) so you will get less space for your budget.

Any of them will be great choices.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 13, 2013, 10:50 AM
Rookie

Default More SSD info

Hi, Thanks very much to all. And I have decided to go with the Intel 520 series. I see NCIX has a 240G. on sale for $215 . My next question has to deal with my idea of swapping the SSD with windows 8 with my present mechanical HD with windows 7 on it. Is it true that to get the most from my SSD that it should run in AHCI mode and if I did set it to that would I have to unset it eveytime I wanted to use the windows 7 disk.

Thanks again , PCMike
Old January 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
Rookie

Default Intel 520 series

hello again, in my search for a intel SSD I find there are a few different 250G. 520's . Are they all Cherryville ? Is one better then another. I have searched but I find it a bit confusing so if anyone can enlighten me I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks PCMike
Old January 13, 2013, 11:11 AM
Allstar

Intel sell an OEM and a Retail this probably the difference you see, it'S the same drive the retail come with the 3.5 adaptor plate.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post
Hi, Thanks very much to all. And I have decided to go with the Intel 520 series. I see NCIX has a 240G. on sale for $215 . My next question has to deal with my idea of swapping the SSD with windows 8 with my present mechanical HD with windows 7 on it. Is it true that to get the most from my SSD that it should run in AHCI mode and if I did set it to that would I have to unset it eveytime I wanted to use the windows 7 disk.

Thanks again , PCMike
For an SSD you *have* to run it in AHCI mode.

And a HD you should as well.

There is no reason with current hardware to run IDE mode.

If your Win7 disc was set and installed via IDE then you need to edit the registry now, reboot, and set the BIOS up to use AHCI. (see below)

Then you could swap between the two discs without drama.

Why you want it even with HDs: Why do i need AHCI with a SSD Drive (Guide Here!) ... - Crucial Community

And how to do it:
Quote:
1. Startup "Regedit" obviously when computer is fully booted up as it is now.
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
6. exit "Regedit"
7. Reboot computer and enter BIOS

In your BIOS change SATA Mode to AHCI
Old January 13, 2013, 11:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup, ACHI is a major link in the TRIM chain. Without it...you will NOT get TRIM.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 13, 2013, 01:50 PM
Rookie

Default sounds good

Thank you everyone for your input

PCMike