Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2012, 06:43 AM
Allstar

Default SSD question

Well I have try many combination of SSD, including Intel RST cashing, this time I order an Intel 120 GB series 520 and I wonder with a 5 years warranty if I really have to do the tweaking like disable the indexing and place the page files on another drive. Since I use VMware WS I prefer have a page files even if I have 16 gb or ram. what is you tough ?
Old December 30, 2012, 10:31 AM
Allstar

Having a long warranty is no reason not to take proper steps for maintenance and longevity IMHO. Some new cars have a 10 year warranty. Doesn't mean you shouldn't change the oil regularly or otherwise not maintain them.
Old January 3, 2013, 06:50 PM
Rookie

Contrary to most I don't baby my SSD. SSD life for current SSDs are way better compared to the early days where people do all the possible steps to have the least writes on SSD. How many writes will you be doing in a day? A drive which does like 10GB per DAY can still last 5 years. In fact at school our computer lab has SSDs on it and the machines have been used for over a year now. It is being used by 1st years and 2nd years and in our networking classes we use VMs. We write a lot of data on it since we simulate scenarios and have to constantly ghost images of computers and all have page file turned on. The life expectancy is at 92% and will last an approximate of 9years +, the numbers I provided are from SSD life which is a program that will compute the lifespan of an SSD. Of course if you baby your SSD it will have a longer life span but I bet in 5 years time you will be replacing it anyway so my opinion use it to the fullest. >:)
Old January 3, 2013, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

IIRC the Intel 520 is either 3000 or 5000 write cycle flash, so unless your PC is CONSTANTLY using the page file (to the point of lagging up the PC with I/O), there isn't much to worry about.

I do BOINC/F@H + very light VM on my primary and I have a page file on my SSD and my HDD. There's 400MB on the SSD because I don't want to take up too much space, and another 4GB on my HDD in case some program takes up a lot more RAM than I expected. If you're worried, by all means download an SSD toolbox and monitor the writes for a week. However, I wouldn't just disable everything that writes to the SSD without some data first.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:24 PM
Allstar

I always say to keep the page file, but if you INSIST on disabling it, keep at least 2GB. It's small enough to not matter and you guarantee reliability.

I've never cared about indexing....but are we SURE that it stores the index in the RAM?